BMW Werkz banner

Petrol for an '83 528i

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  AngelMoo 
#1 ·
Well LRP is becoming increasingly hard to find in Melbourne and last time I tried PULP (with and without the additive) it didn't sound all that healthy, it also didn't seem to have as much power as usual. I don't exactly know what I wanted to ask but any info would be appreciated. The car is a V6 1983 528i...and it's white ;)

#6 ·
Sorry to confuse everyone ;)
LRP = lead replacement petrol, just like leaded without the lead
PULP = premium unleaded petrol, has a higher octane than regular unleaded
the additive I used is like a lubricant you're supposed to use with the unleaded.
That better?

#7 ·
Have you had the engine "tuned up" while running with a tank of PULP? On an '83 it might make a huge difference.

When I worked in my grandfather’s garage and we always told our customers to bring the vehicle in running the grade of fuel they planned to use because switching grades will have a significant impact the vehicle’s performance and make a good tune up seem like it was done poorly. This is especially true of older vehicles that, because they either did not have a computer or they had a very rudimentary one, rely on mechanical settings to operate correctly.

Even with today’s modern engines, running a higher-octane fuel than the one on which the vehicle is designed to run will result in degraded miles per gallon and in many cases poorer performance. The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns, too high an octane will result in unburned fuel being blow out the exhaust valve into the exhaust system. This leads the O2 sensor to report that the fuel mixture is too rich and the pulse width of the injectors is shortened leaning the mixture. Result poorer performance.

I hope this helps.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.