BMW Werkz banner

Frozen locks

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  {NTM} 
#1 ·
I know there was already a thread about this a while back but i just want to make sure before i freak out

My truck lock froze last night and i was wondering if this could possibly do any permenent damage to my Locking system?

sort of a newb question but i decided to ask anyway

#7 ·
Heating a key multiple times degenerates the strength of the material... I'd stay away from that...

Try some sprays... that know how to keep it from freezing.. I'm sure they make a liquid for this problem... as there is most anything nowadays...

Les

#10 ·
Hmmmmm.... Heat it up and stick it in Eh? I think I am beginning to LIKE the concept of "Thawing a frozen lock!"

Josh W.

#11 ·
Josh,

Go get laid already. jk.

Back on topic...

Les, Silicone spray is a common lube in door locks, however, it can gel up if temperatures get too cold.

Graphite spray is good, but if the lock is frozen, it won't thaw it out. Your best bet in that case is to purchase a small tube of De-Icer, an aerosol-based ice remover. They sell them in most hardware stores, as well as auto parts stores. And some are even small enough you can hang them from your keys.

Dave

#13 ·
the cooking shit PAM also works it won't let water group together/freeze

#14 ·
I had a terrible time with the latch mechanisms on my first E30 in the winter..... the latches would freeze open after I'd open the door, so the door wouldn't really shut--only bounced off the striker (seemed to only do it single digit temps and below).... ended up using a hair dryer on them for a couple minutes at a time....

a few times while running late to work in the mornings, I had to actually hold the door while driving.... I don't like winter

#15 · (Edited)
The trunk lock on my e30 gets frozen as well (I live in Maine).

I have yet to find a way to fix it, and I've found that lock de-icer is hit or miss, my girlfriend's Jetta (scoff) continued to not let her into the car after a good amount of time with the de-icer. The good thing is my doors don't ice up, so I can at least get into the car.

I don't think it can 'cause any permanent damage, my car is 15 years young and it's been through that many Maine winters and still manages to open fine (when it's not iced up).

#16 ·
Graphite works, but is messy and leaves black smears down the side of your car. I find that a liberal spraying of WD-40 works best as it displaces water and prevents future freezing. Also a must to keep in the trunk for when you flood the distributer with water from a poodle (er puddle).

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.