BMW Werkz banner

95 740iL Steering problem

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Elenar 
#1 ·
Right, so my 1995 740iL has a problem with the steering. It has done 153000 miles. I was an idiot when I bought it and took it on without any service history or paperwork, other than registration and road worthy certificates:eek:

The night I got it, it drove fine. I drove for about 40 miles and stopped for petrol. I heard the most awful noise when steering. When I checked, there was no Power Steering (p/s) fluid. The petrol station didn't have any. So, I drove another 12 highway miles to another station - again no p/s fluid. After ANOTHER 12 highway miles, I got 'gear oil'. It was the closest thing to p/s fluid, so I put it in. That lasted a week.

Today, we went for a 20 mile, relaxed drive. When I got home, I smelled p/s fluid, but since I don't yet know the car I didn't bother looking. I also had to take my baby out of the car.

This evening, I went to the shop. I heard the pump make a noise again and poured proper p/s fluid in. I filled the reservoir. After 3 miles, I stopped at the shop to discover the reservoir was empty and dry! :eek:

Right, so what is the issue? Do I have a leaking pipe (I hope), is the PUMP broken or is it like my mechanig friend suggested, most likely the steering rack that is shot?:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
well it sounds to me you have at least 1(if not more) leaking hoses a very common thing for BMW's. but since you have been driving with out p/s fluid for so long and the pump is making noise, chances are the pump is going out. Unlikely the rack is shot unless it is ACTUALLY leaking fluid. I would suggest finding the source of your leak and replacing the pump.

#3 ·
Just got my car back. The guy at the workshop told me that the leak for the p/s fluid is at the back of the car. Apparently leaking from the self-levelling suspension hoses?

Also, I have just driven it a few miles. All was well until I switched on the EDC-S. the other day the p/s fluid was also fine and remained in reservoir until last Saturday when I went for a drive and switched the EDC-S on. Is this coincidince or can teh EDC-S make the p/s fluid drain??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.