BMW Werkz banner

Pics of my install at 50%

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  da_bull 
#1 ·
:D Alright, I just replaced my JL Audio / Pioneer system and have pics of the new one. As far as my install goes, I'm at about the half way mark. Enjoy :)

Some things aren't perfectly aligned, etc - but thats why I'm only half done. Lots of finishing touches, bolting things down - all that jazz before I can call it complete. But you get the basic idea, I hope. :D

Amp: PPI PCX2200 - for a beautiful, strong 800+ underrated watts at 4ohms - I'm so tired of having to bring in unnecessary heat / current draw / distortion just to get higher power to my sub(s) - so this one does the trick wonderfully.

Sub: Diamond Audio D615D2. The damn punchiest, cleanest 15 I've ever heard in it's price class. Just blew me away.

Box: 3.8 ft^3 tuned to a nice n low 28hz. The low end is pretty sick - could be a little better, but the SQ of the sub TOTALLY makes up for it.

Overall, I give the Diamond Audio products triple thumbs up on their subs and now will shortly be ordering the front speakers, etc. Probably a Diamond Amp to run them, too.

I'll post more pics as I complete the job. Oh yeah - and for DVDs, the sub bass is incredible.

See less See more
#2 ·
nice. ive always liked the PPI products; clean, powerful and pretty flat response across the spectrum. 800+ watts ought to be plenty of power :D. is the sub aluminum or a poly? cant tell from the pix.

looks good so far....

#3 ·
It's aluminum. Pretty rigid.

Man.. I don't know if you've tried the Diamond products, but I hadn't and I'm sure glad I have. especially at the ebay prices going on right now.

thanks for the compliments, too. :)

I have an install coming up someday, all the equipment is here, just the car that is gonna hold it all is undergoing serious work.

but all I have to say is the sub is a Focal 38wx. lookout for pix of that beauty someday, hopefully soon. ;)

#4 ·
I've played with Diamond years ago, but not any of the newer stuff. I went to their website, the products look like theyve REALLY improved. I love my Focal subs, I really wish I would have purchased the mids before I left the car audio biz. Theyll still sell to me, but not at the "employee purchase price" which was 60-75% off suggested retail, depending on which model you got.

*da_bull still kicks himself*

#5 ·
Yeah man...

the focal gear is truly impressive. The only complaint that I have is that the tweeters are a little too strong at times in most of their upper end sets, but thats nothing that a little warranty-voiding, crossover-tweaking couldn't help.

The focal 38wx should be an absolute beast when it goes in. I just can't imagine how nice a 15" focal would sound, being as clean as they are while still being able to drop down super low.

The 38wx is the 15er from the Utopia line. Was a little pricey, but I'm sure well worth it. The mids / tweets / xovers being used with it are the older ones - one step above the polyglass, one step below the utopia. (I totally forgot which)

Too bad you aren't closer, I'd love to hear your Focal subs to see what I'm in for when the 38wx goes in. <sigh>

#6 ·
Its the polykevlar. thats the series of mids i was going to purchase. they have the yellow kevlar cone instead of the grayish in the utopia line. your utopia sub looks awesome, i love the separate magnets and the chrome front and rear plates. they just look so impressive, i guess they had better for the price you pay for them :D . I agree, the tweeters are a little bright, I believe the xovers have a -3db and -6db cut for the tweeters. I cant remember though.

good luck with your install, show me pix for sure...

on a side note, can you take a look at my post in the 5ers column, im not familiar with them. thanx

da_male_cow

#8 ·
sp0rky said:
maaan I miss this sub. Had to sell it when I got another car.
I sold it to a buddy who put it in a subaru, and it rattled his car to pieces so he took it out and is using it as a home sub now. hah!
lol Subaru...

Did you ever get the Focal, or are you talkin about the Diamond sub(aru-killer) :D

He'd better have one heckuva home amp to drive that sub regardless of which one you gave him...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.