BMW Werkz banner

Fair price for complete brake job?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
What is a decent price for brakes all the way around without replacing rotors? How much with rotors?

#4 ·
well i will tell u this...

i bought a brake kit online... with 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads for 350 shipped.. (cross drilled) and i put them in myself..

if u plan on having a shop do them.. they are prolly gunna charge u 100 bucks an hour.. for 2 hours worth of work...

so your looking at $200 labor..

pads, alone with prolly run 200 bucks... for front and back...

#5 ·
Brakes are so incredibly easy, if you do them you will kick yourself in the ass after seeing what your mechanic charged you 200 to do.

If you dont have any tools its worth the money to invest in em with that 200 you would spend in labor, cause your going to have to do them again eventually.

#7 ·
#9 ·
Brake jobs are a huge money maker for garages because of the labor. Do it yourself, get to know your car a little.

#11 ·
"might save your life.... and it last a lifetime..."

Haha.

$200? Where the fuck are you guys getting your work done? The Ferrari dealership?

Brake pads and rotors are really easy to do. For the pads you'll need a clamp to get off the inner pad. Rotors are equally easy.

Honestly guys, $200 for labor? My shop told me $45, but I still did it myself.

#13 ·
Firestone wanted $750 to change 4 rotors and two pads, I think I hurt the guy's feelings when I started laughing uncontrollably.

#15 ·
Ive never used a clamp to do pads.. but i guess you might need one for getting the caliper piston compressed enough, you definetly do not need a clamp to get the pads off.

Things you need:

Jack
Jack stands
Metric sockets - i would probably want to have 10 to 20 mm sockets.
Socket wrench
Crescent wrench - or a full lineup of metric spanners
Sludge hammer - if your taking the rotors off
6 mm hex wrench - i think its 6 mm, just get one of the small sets that has like 6-12mm included
Penetrating lube

#16 ·
$200 you guys are mad. You need to find a great BMW or mod shop and get comfortable with them. I have one shop do everythign for me. They even have their own race cars. Anyways you guys are getting ripped off. I did mine myself anyways but still your prices are outrageous.

If you go with aftermarket pads dont forget to buy that anti-squeal goo shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.