BMW Werkz banner

sevice engine light!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zibby 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 323 CI Convertible with 92000miles on it and my service engine light comes on and turns back off the next 2 day, then it'll come back on again on the next following 2 days. that happened like 5 times, so i brought it to a mechanic down my street trying to figure out whats happening, then he told me that with that mileage i have to change the spark plug+wires and some other stuff then the light will turn off, and will cost me $600+. Is he trying to rip me off? Because I called up the dealer and they say i have to pay a range from $59-$120 just to check out whats wrong. and said if its under my warranty the light check and fixing it will be free but if not ill have to pay $59-$120 + fixing it.
Anybody know whats wrong? I'm so stressed out, I just had 3 tires and my both front control arms replace. And my wallet is empty now!! :(

#2 · (Edited)
That could be several diifferent things faulty(oxygen sensors, positioning sensors, coils, spark plugs,fuel cap etc..), you have let somebody(who has a proper scaner!) scan it first, to get correct fault codes, then you will know , what has to be fixed. Did you check a fuel cap is properly installed ?( even though it is less likly in your case)
My first guess(because of symptoms-light on, then off), problem with coils or wires.

#4 ·
Might I make a recommendation? If you truly don't want to be ripped off by a dealer, your best bet is to purchase a code-fault reader on your own. The dealer will charge a minimum of $100 to just read the error codes in the car and the code-fault scanner costs $150. It pays for itself the first two times you use it.

www.bavauto.com

Also, your car doesn't have "wires" like most other cars do. Our cars have direct fire ignition coils, no distributer cap with wires. Replacing the spark plugs is a possibility, coils maybe, wires doubtful. And it takes me roughly 40 minutes to swap my sparkplugs, so $600 is absurd for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.