BMW Werkz banner

ok...only 2 more questions ?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  325eXTATIC 
#1 · (Edited)
first, where is the idle ajustment screw for 1 85 318i 1.8L ? mines idling at about 1200 right now, i was going for about 900...thanks.

second, the big black boxes are relays or fuses or circuit things ? i found 2 in the glove box,

1) has 1375916.0 0685/01 on it. looks lika vent on the top, connector on the bottom. 12v.

2) benznpumpenrelays 1286727 12v siemens swk2221, 7 connectors on this one.

help ! where do these go ? i want to plug them in and see what happens. thanks.

j123crx@aol.com

#3 ·
can you take pics and post them? i am a bit rusty on my four bangers.....it sounds like you found the screw on your ICV/ISV and if that's the case, yes that's what you use to turn your idle down........make sure your throttle cable has a small bit of slack as well, that too could be holding your idle up..........as for the other, they sound like relays, possibly spare relays or bad relays......either way if everything is working like it should i wouldn't worry too much about it.

#4 ·
OK, answer to number 2 is this. Fuel pump relay. Look out under the hood for your fuse and relay panel, ususally mounted on or near the firewall. Perhaps the previous owner was maintenance minded, and bought a spare. I'll try to track down the answer to number one.

Dave

#6 ·
number four is one of the black boxes ! thanks.

i'll check the location by the fuse box and see if it goes there, is that were the fuel relay would be ?

the screw up top is the idle adjustment, it was sticking a bit but i fiddled with it and got it to adjust down to about 800-900 rpm's...much better thab 1500.

thanks for the feedback !

how about this ? driving at a steady 70mph and the car hiccups, a small lurch and then it clears and runs fine, does the same thing several times and then stops doing it and runs fine ??? replaced the plugs with +4 bocsh platinums and replaced the fuel filter. i think it is gunk in the gas tank-i filled the tank and it did it for about 10 miles and then it ran fine. it seems like it happens just under a half tank.

#7 ·
Let me be the first to say... +4 and +2 plugs are too much for these engines. Honestly, the standard Bosch plugs are worth the price (half the price of the + plugs!) and are specifically matched to the heat range of the engines!
As for the hiccup, I would look at Fuel Filter, and perhaps Fuel Injectors. Filter isn't too hard to replace (may need a special tool, but that depends on model, and I don't have a 318, so I don't have the specific answer) and injectors/fuel rail SHOULD be fairly easy to remove as a whole. Just buy new O-rings so that they seat properly when you replace them. As for cleaning them... MINERAL SPIRITS! Simply take out the whole fuel rail, injectors and all, and take the injectors off and pop them in a Mineral Spirits bath for an hour or two, then prepare to scrape gently around the whole thing, usually with a fingernail, and then blow through the injector from top to injector head with a high pressure air compressor. That combination will make your fuel delivery as good (or better) than new.... Then again, I could be drunk and telling you how to maintain fuel injection on a carbeurated engine... If that's the case... REBUILD the carb!!!

Guess I could have done a bit of research before I stick my size 17's in my mouth!
Hope I am right though! And I hope this helps you in some way!

Josh W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.