BMW Werkz banner

Just Some News For M5 Owners

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nathan56989 
#1 ·
Just for you peeps that own an M5. I went to go to lunch today and noticed a huge puddle of oil under my car. I pulled it in the shop put it in the air and oil was all over the place. after about 2 bottles of degreaser and lots of water. it was finally cleaned. so i drove to lunch thinking the leak would be pin pointed when i got back. when i was wrong. i put it back in the air and oils was all over the place again. this was only about atwo mile lunch trip. so cleaned it off again. started engine and lifted the car. The leak was coming from the electrical connector boot at the bottom of cylinder 5-8 vanos unit. oil was leaking past the actual solenoid valves inside the unit. So for about 1500 dollars with overnight shipping included. it will be replaced tomorrow. The thing that pisses me off the most is that bmw AG knows about it and is not updating the vanos units. ( i'm assuming you all know what the vanos unit is if not i will explain more in depth of what it is).
But this is just some info some of you may want to know. If you didn't want to know it quit reading.

#4 ·
I am guessing he has a E39 M5, he said somethin about cylinders 5-8. Anyways sorry to hear about your bad luck.

#5 ·
Sorry for the delay guys but yes it's an e39 M5. Got a good deal on it through work. didn't buy it new. but there aren't very many people that drive the car like it was meant to be driven. it had 65000 miles on it when i bought it. it now has close to 100000. due to a few trips to ohio and florida. but hey what was vehicles meant for. And it is fixed now. hopefully the other doesn't go out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.