BMW Werkz banner

Help With Badddddd Noises

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Storamin 
#1 ·
Sometimes it happens when I go over bumps or take hard turns but an extremely loud metal slamming knocking noise will slam in the back like I just ran over a huge rock and it's such a terrible sounding noise it hurts my spine. I just had all 4 struts replaced so I think they would have mentioned something to me about bad suspension but I'm not sure. It constnatly sounds like something is lightly rattling from the rear (around the trunk) and it gets louder when I go over bumps. I aligned my tires and had them balanced and I still get a pretty bad shimmy in the steering wheel. I don't know if it is related. The sound is so incredibly loud. Also what is the easy fix for the vanos clicking noise at idle? I remember someone telling me to clean something or replace but I don't remember what it was.

#5 ·
My hand break was making a little noise but the handbreak was able to lift up enough to click and the light not even turn on. I did this a long time ago but the noise isn't near as loud as this slam. I'll try the exaust and everything. What is the factory height for a 95 325i and how much would it be if the springs or bump stops were done for?

#8 ·
WHen I first got the car about 30,000 miles ago I had a lighter slam in the back but now that you mention it, it sounded the same just softer and I believe i needed my RSMs replaced so maybe they went again. I can't remember how much that costed though. Is that something I could do myself?

#9 ·
RSM's are not complicated to replace. Aftermarket ones can run up to 100$. They will typically last much longer than the OEM ones. I think the OEM ones are 30$ish from the dealership.

If you feel comfortable lifting your car, removing your wheel, removing your inner carpet by the strut tower, there really isn't much to it besides that. Do a search, it has been covered many times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.