BMW Werkz banner

Oil Level Light

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  zibby 
#1 ·
Hello all this is my first post so here it goes!!!

I have a UK spec 2000 E46 323i SE Saloon and have the following issue. When I turn the car on all the normal warning lights turn on and then switch off as they are supposed to.

After 25 seconds (exactly as I have timed it!!!) the yellow oil level warning light comes on and stays on for exactly 15 seconds (have time this also!!) and then switches off. The light then never comes on again while the car is on. If you switch the car off and on again the same sequence of events occur every time.
I have drained the oil and refilled to make sure the level is correct. My dealer says it is nothing to worry about :wrench but it wasn't working like this when I bought the car. I have removed and cleaned the oil level sensor but this has made no difference. Has any one seen this before? Am I panicing for nothing? the sensor is a dealer only part and is over £100's. Is there a way of resetting the sensor?

Thanking you in advance.

#2 ·
Originally posted by Jag@Aug 16 2005, 08:10 AM

I have a UK spec 2000 E46 323i SE Saloon and have the following issue. When I turn the car on all the normal warning lights turn on and then switch off as they are supposed to.

After 25 seconds (exactly as I have timed it!!!) the yellow oil level warning light comes on and stays on for exactly 15 seconds (have time this also!!) and then switches off. The light then never comes on again while the car is on. If you switch the car off and on again the same sequence of events occur every time.
I have drained the oil and refilled to make sure the level is correct. My dealer says it is nothing to worry about :wrench  but it wasn't working like this when I bought the car. I have removed and cleaned the oil level sensor but this has made no difference. Has any one seen this before? Am I panicing for nothing? the sensor is a dealer only part and is over £100's. Is there a way of resetting the sensor?

Thanking you in advance.
[snapback]369922[/snapback]​

#3 ·

I have drained the oil and refilled to make sure the level is correct. My dealer says it is nothing to worry about :wrench  but it wasn't working like this when I bought the car. I have removed and cleaned the oil level sensor but this has made no difference. Has any one seen this before? Am I panicing for nothing? the sensor is a dealer only part and is over £100's. Is there a way of resetting the sensor?

Thanking you in advance.
Hi! First time when the yellow light came on, did you have engine oil at correct level or at absolute minimum?The yellow light informs about ,you are just below lower mark on dipstick.If the level was OK ,95% it is a sensor problem and even is expensive ,has to be replaced,you can also check for any loose or cracked cable going to the sensor and try to clean contact points with alcohol solution, basicly if you top off the oil ,the light should go off- not reseting requaired!BTW it will not harm your car as long as oil level is right ,so you do not have to deal with it right away.I will check for sensor price here in Canada and let you know. Best regards!

#4 ·

I have drained the oil and refilled to make sure the level is correct. My dealer says it is nothing to worry about :wrench but it wasn't working like this when I bought the car. I have removed and cleaned the oil level sensor but this has made no difference. Has any one seen this before? Am I panicing for nothing? the sensor is a dealer only part and is over £100's. Is there a way of resetting the sensor?

Thanking you in advance.
The sender is $131.00 US plus $17.60 to send to UK! As today it is around 82.00 Pounds everything ! It would save you some money. Phone number is 1- 888 280 7799(Pelican Parts)
Web site: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/3-Series_Main.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.