BMW Werkz banner

Supercharger In 318??

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  theironm0nk 
#1 ·
alright so i was wondering about superchargers in 4 cylinders what are some positives and negs of it and what are some good places to check out

#2 ·
I would allocate money for a new engine before you think about putting one of those on. Terrible for the car.

#3 ·
http://www.tdi-plc.com/bmwE36318iS.htm

Scroll down to SUPERCHARGER.

Cons... $$$$ Really costly.
PROS.... Giddy-Up cause you'll be hauling some ass...

After exploring my options I ended up selling my 94 318is and buying a 95 325is... more upgrade options.

My $0.02 CD$

#4 ·
I own one and by the time you invest all that money, you could easily find a good 325i or a 328i. Now unless, One, you want to and don't care what anybody says or two, you may do it for insurance reasons.

Good place to check out is http://www.downingatlanta.com

They have a good kit for your bimmer. Just note that (may be wrong with this one) that they last approximately 100,000 miles and your engine will have a lesser life as well because of the forced induction.

#8 ·
My 318is was my baby... see attached... by the time I was finished with her I had re-done everything. She was a 1994 that I bought in Nov. of 2002 for $3000.00 CD$... yes it was cheap but she was a relic... rusted exterior... torn interior... shocks and springs were dead... RSM's were dead... clutch was dead..... it was a total restore. I had her stripped down entirely... I mean everything... windows... interior, engine, bumpers. All original paint was removed... rust was cut out and replaced with new sheet metal... fenders changed. The interior was re-done in real leather, two-tone.. 'BEAUTIFUL' sniff sniff... I did a lot of the labour myself including engine work... brakes... etc... etc... I drove her for two years and invested about $3000.00 CD$ (I have a lot of connections in the tuner business up here) and the paint job was courtesy of my insurance company... lets just say my bodyshop knew the claims guy ;).

I sold my 318is 5 speed for $8500.00 CD$ and bought the 325is (signature) for $7500 CD$ because the 325 was auto and had some problems which I knew how to fix or the nice people on this forum helped me to identify. Otherwise up here 95-96 325's run about $8500 to $10500 CD$ depending upon mileage and rust and gearbox.

Hope this helps and my apologies for the length.

Attachments

#10 ·
NO - The rims are aftermarket, http://www.fastwheels.ca M3 replica, 17inch. Ran me about 250$ each with the tire but like I said above I have clients that are in the Tuner trade so we did a little barter.

YES - The 325 is much faster. It's surprisingly fast. I find she's a lot heavier. My 318 was very nimble and I had to make the 4 cylinder scream for her to move, I'd rather have the speed of the 325 especially on the top end... and it gets there in a hurry. I've taken her to 220 km/h... Still need to chip her and stuff and my 325 has never seen a Montreal winter (winters are really hard up here). The auto will be gone this winter, off the start she isn't special but between 100 - 200 km/h it accelerates very quickly.

#12 ·
You can't beat a manual, but chipping can help.

#13 ·
go with a 325/328 or M3 if your lucky. Its only worth getting a 318 if you need to save on gas or you want a very agile car for dodging traffic.

A friend of mine got a 318i 4 door manual. I drove it recently and noticed how slow a normal 318 is. I also noticed how much lower my car is. My car also does 0-60 in 7 seconds :rock now all I need to do is change the O2 sensor and I'll be back to that if not beat it :wrench

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.