BMW Werkz banner

Brake Pads

5K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
It's that time of the year again. I need new pads. I'm sick of OEM ones. I run my car too hard and they fade quickly. Basically im looking for better stopping power. I've done quite a bit of research so far,but would rater see some posts that havent been tainted by my research.

What are good performance pads?

What prices have you guys been seeing?

What are the different types of materials? I don't think I want semi-metallic again. Ceramic might be the wya to go. How much more expensive are ceramic pads?

I don't care about brake dust so dont steer me in the direction of any sort of brake dust reducer or any pads that work as well as OEM, because OEM is insufficient for my needs.

After I pick one and get them replaced i'll do a post about performance brade pads and a review of which ones I bought.

(i have the modding bug. I need to sell my car and I keep putting money into it :()

#2 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Jul 15 2005, 01:36 PM
It's that time of the year again. I need new pads. I'm sick of OEM ones. I run my car too hard and they fade quickly. Basically im looking for better stopping power. I've done quite a bit of research so far,but would rater see some posts that havent been tainted by my research.

What are good performance pads?

What prices have you guys been seeing?

What are the different types of materials? I don't think I want semi-metallic again. Ceramic might be the wya to go. How much more expensive are ceramic pads?

I don't care about brake dust so dont steer me in the direction of any sort of brake dust reducer or any pads that work as well as OEM, because OEM is insufficient for my needs.

After I pick one and get them replaced i'll do a post about performance brade pads and a review of which ones I bought.

(i have the modding bug. I need to sell my car and I keep putting money into it :()
[snapback]362573[/snapback]​
check these out

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/show_...arkBlueSportPad

regards

billb

#4 ·
I think you will really like them. I use them on my 1988 750 and married daughters 1994 530i (V8) and her husbands 1995 325is. My married son uses them on his 1987 325i and his 1988 735i with manual transmission. They grip well, almost no dust and they are long lived

#5 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Jul 17 2005, 05:46 PM
I considered all of those. Earlier this morning I ordered PBR AXXIS Ultimate ceramic brake pads from TMS. Hopefully ill be satisfied with them.
[snapback]363104[/snapback]​
I'll tell you one thing, they work only slightly better now than OEM(I have had them for a couple weeks but have driven them like 1000 miles) and grip harder the more you use them. They dont fade, which was odd, I thought I caught them on fire fucking around the other day in a parking lot(they were smoking so bad I thought I burned somethign out in my engine) but they kept on gripping just as hard as they did before I started. I have to give it to them, they just didnt quit. :wiggle Although I also got the cross drilled rotors, dont know how much thsat helps though.

#6 ·
Thats very nice to know. The real reason i'm sick of OEM is that they fade too fast. They have mediocre brakign power and it's just not cutting it for me. I cant count the number of times that my OEM pads have given in under pressure. I hope these will be on of my most noticeable upgrades.

#7 ·
I installed my axxis ceramic pads this morning

took it for a a few miles

its still in the brakes break-in period, but im kinda disappointed abotu some random braking noise, hopefully this will disappear by the break-in period....then ill drive it harder.

#11 ·
Yeah shit my pads really work well!

But my buddy with the 224 rwhp bmw (had to say it sorry) told me

im a complete dumbass, I forgot to put that gooey stuff behind the pad -_-

and on top of that this mornign when I installed them I realized I had forgotten to get brake pad sensors so it still shows up as needing new brake pads. FUCK! Now I need to spend $20 on sensors from turner motorsport (4 sensors) + ooey gooey stuff + repoen calipers and whatnot.

FORKSHIT!

#12 ·
Its an easy job. calm down. :p

Make sure you get the anti squeal on there good, if it seeps out you'll need to reapply later. Who needs brake pad sensors anyway? Just cut them off and twist the wires together! No OBC warning...... ever.

hahah

review on these pads yet?

#13 ·
Will review when I hit about 70 miles on them and Im sure ive run them ahrd enough.

5 minute job if you have the right tools. I left my toolkit in my dads office in LA and i dont want to drive that damn far and burnt hat much gas :(

#16 ·
Yeah but the metalmasters are semi-metallics :( I shall stick to ceramics from now on. The brakign power is so much better than my OEM's, plus I have yet to experience one moment of fade thus far.

My e34 has actually been doign pretty well gas mileage wise. On the highway im gettign between 21-22 mpg and on the city im gettign abut 18-19 mpg, alll this is the readings that come from my OBC (also i have a Turner motorsport remapped chip).

#17 ·
Well when I previously said I ordered pads I realize I failed to mention I only purchased FRONT CERAMIC PADS.

I thought I could cheat a few weeks with my rears. Time has come. I took of my rear tires and found my pads are ALMOST to metal on metal. YIKES!

So once again I went to turnermotorsport.com and ordered AXXIS ULTIMATE CERAMIC PADS for the REAR. Hopefully this will make some difference. Although im very much saisfied with my front axxis ceramics I still want mroe. They dotn fade, which I love, but I want mroe. Im amazed at the stopping power, but I still want more.

So, sicne I did get a few pay checks piled up, I ordered just REAR TMS RACING Cross Drilled rotors. I shudve gone for fronts, but meh. I defintely not buyign these for looks (behind my ugly e34 wheels) rather heat dispersion.

So now ill have

AXXIS Ultimates front + rear
TMS Cross drilled rotors rear

Just missing crossdrilled fronts and SS brake lines.

Now if only I could sell my car I wont keep wastign money on it. The next owner will be happy with the stopping power.

Hopefully once I install them I can finally write a review, but knowning me by the time it comes to writign a review ill be purchasing those SS lines and front rotors :p

#21 ·
So I installe dthe pads and rear CD rotors today and im absolutely amazed at how much a difference it made. On top fo that braking suddenly seems much mreo smoother that I think I have evr felt int he car. Braking PROMPT and there is nothign stopping me from brakign well other than the ridiculous body roll which can nto handle my killer brakes. Tires are also a limiting factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.