BMW Werkz banner

Creaking From Rear Of Car

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  peterkulesza 
#1 ·
For the last few months, I have been hearing a creaking sound coming from the rear of my 2004 330xi. At first I attributed it to the extreme hot and cold weather in NY; however, I am still hearing it even with normal weather conditions. The creaking is more pronounced when I go over bumps.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
I know, I drive an e36, but I am having this problem too. Try to isolate the noise - you say it's from the rear, make sure it isn't heat shields back there, or break calipers (more of a tinny rattle than a creak). That's probably not it though - check the shocks by pushing down on the bumper and making sure your car pops back up once without bouncing. Or creaking. If it's not that, (I'm afraid this is what's wrong with my car) it could be sub-frame failure. I think (I'm not sure) this just happens from crappy american roads. For more information, search the e36 forum for subframe failure.

#5 ·
A very usual problem form BMW's is the rear rubber shock mount. I have had these replaced on two E46s after creaking at the rear. My friend who used to be a BMW tech told me it is very common, and can happen even to low milate cars. ITs to do with the centre metal part comming away....

#8 ·
I had the same problem in the 05 330Xi when it was brand new. I had taken the car to the dealer and they didnt find anything wrong (typical). The noise did subside and dissapear after 1000k only to reappear after a long driving trip.

It comes from the back of the car. After taking the car through a wash (undercarriage too) it stopped coming. I havent driven it after that but will report back this weekend on the status.

#11 ·
I had the same problem on a 2004 325. It started after about 6 months and got progressively worse. At the one year point I took the car in for its annual oil change and told the dealer of the creaking noise. They found it was the right rear sway bar shackle/bushing that had some rust on it. They removed it and cleaned it and oiled it and the problem went away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.