BMW Werkz banner

Help, Coolant Hose Broke And Drained All My Coolan

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Colindarling7 
#1 ·
:help I had a known small collant leak on both coolant hoses, but not the money to fix it all (estimated at $350). I took it easy and watched my coolant level and temp. Well until yesterday night.

I was leaving the bar the other day and saw my temp gauge just go straight up and into the red right when I got it home. The next day I went and checked it out and did not see anything, the coolant level was fine. I took it on a drive to see what was going on and it seemed to work fine so I pulled onto the highway for a minute and it slowed started to climb up. I pulled it off at the closest exit and pulled into a gas station(temp in the red by now) and "whoosh" all my coolant rushed out from under me. I let it cool down enough to open the hood and the black hose right up front by the radiator fan came completely off on one side. It was dark and I did not get a good look, but it looked like it came off not broke off. I just moved and do not have my bentley manual or any tools to work on it. I have to take it to a repair shop, but don't want to get ripped off royally. :wrench

Do anyone have any ideas of what could be going on, and what(how much) it should take to fix it? :help

#2 ·
Maybe your thermostat went bad. That would not allow the coolant to flow through the system, hence causing it to overheat. Furthermore, the trapped coolant can become hot enough that it reaches its boiling point and buids enough pressure to make the hose pop off. That is my -- very optimistic -- guess.

#3 ·
sounds plausible.. could have been just a bad hose that finally went out on you. Regardless the thermostat is prolly fried and you'd need that and new hoses at the least. If I were you i'd buy the whole cooling system overhaul kit from bimmerworld. You get everything you need: metal impellar waterpump, thermostat & alum housing, NEW hoses, radiator, and even BMW coolant. All this for like $300..

#4 ·
I got a chance to go back to where the car is and take a look at it. The radiator has a neck into the hose right at the top right(looking down at it from the front) it is plastic and broke completely through. Apparently this is a common occurance on mid 90s 3 and 5 series. I am getting it towed and replaced hopefully for not too much money as I have none. I will let you guys know.

Edit: I replaced the thermostat less than 10,000 miles ago, but the housing was fine then so left the plastic in, I guess I will see if anything needs replaced there.

#5 ·
I had to do a bunch of cooling work recently...at this place by me i got the hoses for 8 bucks each, radiator for 170. I did all the work myself...it wasnt hard to do at all. Took about an hour. Just make sure that when you fill your car back up with coolant top it off at from the other end of the radiator. Like there is a plastic inlet near the top right of the radiator put coolant in there as well...that will help to get rid of any air pockets. I didnt do that and my car still overheated...but as soon as i put coolant in the other outlet my car ran perfect.

#6 ·
Plastic Impeller.

That was the problem it got brittle int he heat and broke off and took out through chain reaction the rest of my coolant system. It is all fixed now and I got a few other things that needed to be done fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.