BMW Werkz banner

A/c Problem

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rookie 
#1 ·
My Climate Control Computer Module is fading in and out randomly, usually comes on a few minutes after driving and fades in and out with no particular pattern. When it fades, the words dim and the a/c stops blowing. I'm assuming I'm going to need to replace it, but I want to hear from some of you more experienced guys and girls who have dealt with this already. I've talked to a shop and he said $500 to replace it... but I see it costs around $290 on bavauto.com. Is it difficult to replace? Should I just pay the shop and let them do it?

If I don't need to replace it let me know what I can do to fix it. If I need to replace it, how involved is it?

The guy who had it before me put in an aftermarket CD player, and it looks a little sloppy and I plan on replacing it soon. If this could have anything to do with it, let me know.

Thanks, Eric :)

#2 ·
WAIT!!!!! Don't pay anyone a single god damn cent!!! What you need to fix it is really simple and REALLY cheap

Inside your climate control computer their is a capicitor(sp) that goes bad. Usually when the display goes dim none of the buttons will respond, the fan stops blowing, and the AC compressor is stuck on. There are a few articles on how to fix this problem. Basically what you do is unsolder the old capicitor and solder in the new one and it works like a champ. It took me about 45mins to do. As a matter of fact I have like three of the damn capicitors and I can drop one in an envelope for you. They are a bit of a bitch to find, and I had to order online.

Here is the link to the DIY it is not half as hard as it looks to do.
http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

#3 ·
Originally posted by Rookie@Jun 24 2005, 12:06 PM
WAIT!!!!! Don't pay anyone a single god damn cent!!! What you need to fix it is really simple and REALLY cheap

Inside your climate control computer their is a capicitor(sp) that goes bad. Usually when the display goes dim none of the buttons will respond, the fan stops blowing, and the AC compressor is stuck on. There are a few articles on how to fix this problem. Basically what you do is unsolder the old capicitor and solder in the new one and it works like a champ. It took me about 45mins to do. As a matter of fact I have like three of the damn capicitors and I can drop one in an envelope for you. They are a bit of a bitch to find, and I had to order online.

[snapback]356788[/snapback]​
Thanks a LOT man. I was just about to spend a bundle for nothing. This is why I love forums. :thumbs

#4 ·
Originally posted by Rookie@Jun 24 2005, 12:06 PM

[snapback]356788[/snapback]​
Also, how much would you want for a capicitor? If you have AIM my sn is DrEricBoler. Or you could email me dr_boler@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I have exactly the same problem here. When the unit is 'cold' nothing is wrong, but after a while the blower turns off........ The display shows however still temp and 'volume'. Do I have a bad capicitor too??

Thnx.

#6 ·
That is what it sounds like. If both of you guys send me your mailing address I can just drop the capicitor and a little bit of de-soldering wire in an envelope and mail it to you guys. They are just sitting around here collecting dust, and stamps are damn cheap! Hey least I can do for how much help I have gotten from around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.