BMW Werkz banner

Highway Cruising Problems

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  offabroadway 
#1 ·
Okay, so driving along the freeway out near my place, I get passed by a 328ic doing, oh, 160 (him, not me) and I kicked down the gas just as he passed me, for the hell of it.

You know what happened? Nothing.

The car dropped into 3rd (won't let it stay in 4th with the pedal down) but really couldn't get much go-power out of it. I was doing about 105km/h when I kicked it down, and despite a lot more revs and noise, I really didn't pick up much speed, maybe about 10km/h in a 10 second attempt.

Only me in the car, no baggage, people, or anything. What gives? My driveshaft apparently has slack in it, and I should get that fixed when I get my cash (rear subframe mounts need to go too), but would that really contribute to a loss in power like that? Or is it just because the car has a slushbox instead of a five speed?

Engine runs perfect, aside from needing a new ICV. FI cleaner used about 5000kms ago, oil change about 400kms ago.

I'm lost. Any help please? If its because of the automatic, a manual swap will become Priority #1. I hate it when a car won't go.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate automatic.i just cant figure them out.Its like the car drives you.It sgould be the other way around.
Time for a swap dude.

#3 ·
Originally posted by 9x16@Jun 9 2005, 10:03 PM
I hate automatic.i just cant figure them out.Its like the car drives you.It sgould be the other way around.
Time for a swap dude.
[snapback]352261[/snapback]​
my auto has plenty of pickup and go, esp on a downshift.. unless you are low on tranny fluid. run the engine and when its up to operating temperature leave the engine running in park and check the tranny fluid level.

#4 ·
I'll check it again tomorrow. I check all my major fluids at every fuel stop, automatic tranny level is always the same. Hmm.

#5 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@Jun 10 2005, 09:52 PM
I'll check it again tomorrow. I check all my major fluids at every fuel stop, automatic tranny level is always the same. Hmm.
[snapback]352595[/snapback]​
yes but do you check the tranny while it is running? you need to to get an acurate reading.

otherwise your clutch packs might be going out.

#6 ·
Yep, the fluid level looks fine.

God damn, clutch packs? :banghead The transmission was replaced 15,000kms ago! The third transmission the car has had, incidentally, according to the records.

#7 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@Jun 13 2005, 04:10 PM
Yep, the fluid level looks fine.

God damn, clutch packs? :banghead The transmission was replaced 15,000kms ago! The third transmission the car has had, incidentally, according to the records.
[snapback]353302[/snapback]​
only other thing it would be is clogged tranny fluid lines/filter.

goodluck man, ill keep my fingers crossed for ya

#8 ·
I think I figured it out. Its not what I thought it was.

The rear axle (or prop shaft main bearing? something is slipping back there) needs to go, granted, but today driving along the highway, I gunned it, and got lots of power, at least for something with 121hp and a 4 spd auto.

I think it was the fuel leak. Every time I would stop after driving on the highway, I'd get the faintest smell of gas, and it would dissipate. The pressure build up behind the pressure regulator would just seep through the cracks in the line. I'm still amazed how much more mileage I'm getting. 221kms, still havent hit the 1/2 mark, mostly city driving.

Next time I happen on some cash (with my new job that I start in August it will be cake) I'm going to redo the transmission fluid, likely with RedLine. As for a swap, I'm still debating. Yeah, it would be most excellent to shift it myself, but the other pilots of the vehicle (mostly my gf) would have to learn standard, and that just might be scary.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like we got it beat. Just need to do that damn axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.