BMW Werkz banner

Lighting Question

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  bavarianasian 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm in the preliminary process of upgrading my headlights on my 1994 530. I want to upgrade to an HID lighting system. So far I have had a lot of help from Sporky (thank you Sporky, you rock), and I have been doing a lot of research on my own. But today I think I may have come across some good news to all of us E34 owners...!

I'm sure most of you know that the in 1991 BMW introduced Xenon lights on their 7 series models. Well after doing some research it appears that the low beam part number on the 750 series BMW is the same as the low beam assembly on our trusty E34's! (I looked it up)

So this begs the question: Since the 750 had Xenon lights, can our stock lighting assemblies be fitted with HID bulbs without having to change the projector...! I have a feeling Sporky mentioned something on this...before to me:)! I did notice that my stock projectors have an almost exact pattern as newer HID Projectors....

Any thoughts or experiences on this??? :idea2

#2 ·
While the 750s projectors are the same, the XENON equipped ones were actually different. (not all 750s had xenon even though it was introduced on that car) Check out www.realoem.com for proper part numbers, etc.
Also note that the e32 750 had xenon in the US in 1994, so look it up in that year.

They have a seperate section for bosch and hella xenon units. Even the picture of the projectors look different. It's all about optics.

But like I said, upgrading to xenon lights, you'll be more than happy with putting them in the stock projectors. The upgrade is still incredible. And remember, even if you got the original 750 xenon projectors, you'd still be better off with newer ones because the technology of those things is rapidly changing. There are so many choices... more curve, fresnel vs. clear, etc etc etc.

#3 ·
Originally posted by sp0rky@May 25 2005, 04:45 PM
While the 750s projectors are the same, the XENON equipped ones were actually different. (not all 750s had xenon even though it was introduced on that car) Check out www.realoem.com for proper part numbers, etc.
Also note that the e32 750 had xenon in the US in 1994, so look it up in that year.

They have a seperate section for bosch and hella xenon units. Even the picture of the projectors look different. It's all about optics.

But like I said, upgrading to xenon lights, you'll be more than happy with putting them in the stock projectors. The upgrade is still incredible. And remember, even if you got the original 750 xenon projectors, you'd still be better off with newer ones because the technology of those things is rapidly changing. There are so many choices... more curve, fresnel vs. clear, etc etc etc.
[snapback]347812[/snapback]​
I knew you would jump on this thread! :p I tried looking for you on MSN, but you weren't online! :cry

Alright so how about this, I'll do the upgrade in steps...I'll start off with buying the Ballasts, wires and bulbs. If at this point if I'm still dissatisfied...I'll do the projector swap! Would that work?? Also do you have any companies to recommend of the top of your head to do the retrofit???

Question for you...what colour temp should I get? I was thinking 5000K or 6000K? Will there be much of a difference?

Ayight Peace, I'm off to bed!

Sporky you are my lighting hero! hahaha :D

#4 ·
You WILL be satisfied since you have halogens. I think you'd be satisfied without even having projectors at all. lol :p

Sounds like a plan...

Color temp... 6000k is less light, more blue... 4300k has the most light output. 5000k IS 4300k with a blue tint.(I always stick w/ith 4300k, because it is OEM and looks not too blue) You choose :)

#5 ·
Here is a Headlight QUestion?

I have silverstar's in my headlamps right now, and i like them but they dont last long, my fog has already burned out. I dont feel like replacing them every couple of months.

What other bulbs are out there that has a longer shelf life. I wasnt looking into changing out the whole headlight setup up, just doing something under $100..

Thanks

#6 ·
Originally posted by k2c69n@May 26 2005, 04:28 AM

I have silverstar's in my headlamps right now, and i like them but they dont last long, my fog has already burned out. I dont feel like replacing them every couple of months.

What other bulbs are out there that has a longer shelf life. I wasnt looking into changing out the whole headlight setup up, just doing something under $100..

Thanks
[snapback]347944[/snapback]​

I bought the shining wizardst and I really like them...but I want HID...

Don't the Silverstars have a one year warranty??? They shouldn't be burning out so quickly...I had a pair in my Avenger??

#7 ·
Originally posted by sp0rky@May 26 2005, 12:26 AM
You WILL be satisfied since you have halogens. I think you'd be satisfied without even having projectors at all. lol :p

Sounds like a plan...

Color temp... 6000k is less light, more blue... 4300k has the most light output. 5000k IS 4300k with a blue tint.(I always stick w/ith 4300k, because it is OEM and looks not too blue) You choose :)
[snapback]347912[/snapback]​
LOL! Alright so I'll be satisfied then just doing what I proposed above...! :D

I think i will get the 5000K, thats what my current bulb colour, it looks pretty...in HID it would be kick ass!

Now to pick the best package...any ideas on how much I should spend on this package???

#8 ·
Originally posted by Scotty Dangles+May 26 2005, 06:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scotty Dangles @ May 26 2005, 06:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-k2c69n@May 26 2005, 04:28 AM

I have silverstar's in my headlamps right now, and i like them but they dont last long, my fog has already burned out.* I dont feel like replacing them every couple of months.

What other bulbs are out there that has a longer shelf life.* I wasnt looking into changing out the whole headlight setup up, just doing something under $100..

Thanks

Don't the Silverstars have a one year warranty??? They shouldn't be burning out so quickly...I had a pair in my Avenger??
[snapback]347954[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I will definately check that out when i get home from work. A year warranty would be sweet.

#9 ·
Originally posted by k2c69n+May 26 2005, 07:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(k2c69n @ May 26 2005, 07:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Scotty Dangles@May 26 2005, 06:29 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-k2c69n
@May 26 2005, 04:28 AM

I have silverstar's in my headlamps right now, and i like them but they dont last long, my fog has already burned out.* I dont feel like replacing them every couple of months.

What other bulbs are out there that has a longer shelf life.* I wasnt looking into changing out the whole headlight setup up, just doing something under $100..

Thanks

[snapback]347954[/snapback]​

I will definately check that out when i get home from work. A year warranty would be sweet.
[snapback]347957[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Do it...I bought mine at Autoparts Source and well after a couple of months I lost one and they replaced it for free....I had the receipt....:)

#11 ·
Originally posted by Torque@May 26 2005, 01:19 PM
Free light upgrade for 4-headlight cars: swap high and low beam connectors on the lights.

Edit: I have yet to try it myself, but in theory it should work great. :p
[snapback]348071[/snapback]​
LMAO!! That would be the funniest shit in the world...could you imagine someone actually doing that...that would be a blonde moment for sure.... :p

#12 ·
Originally posted by Scotty Dangles+May 26 2005, 02:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scotty Dangles @ May 26 2005, 02:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Torque@May 26 2005, 01:19 PM
Free light upgrade for 4-headlight cars: swap high and low beam connectors on the lights.

Edit: I have yet to try it myself, but in theory it should work great. :p
[snapback]348071[/snapback]​
LMAO!! That would be the funniest shit in the world...could you imagine someone actually doing that...that would be a blonde moment for sure.... :p
[snapback]348081[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
Why do you say that ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.