BMW Werkz banner

Steering Wheel Wobble On Light Brake Apply

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  TR328i 
#1 ·
Okay,

Everyone knows that when your steering wheel wobles when you hit the brakes, you have warped rotors. The wobble/vibration usually lasts until the car comes to a stop right?

Okay. I have about 5K on new front rotors, the steering wheel wobbles left right left right (not like a front end vibration) on VERY light brake applications, then as brake pressure increases, it COMPLETELY stops!

The car stops great, doesn't shake, it's only when I have light apply. Usually when pulling off a highway ramp, EXCEPT that when I really want to slow down, and press the pedal like another milimeter, it stops. NO noise either.

:help

Any ideas? Bushings? Bearings? Ball Joints? :cry

Any trouble shooting techniques I could try? :confused

Thanks for all your help!!!!! :beer

#5 ·
If the steering wheel shakes its the front rotors if you feel it wobble in the back or underneath you its the rear.

I just got my front ones turned the other day they are $9 a piece at Pepboys now it brakes sooo smooth. If you dont want to take it to someone too take them off they are pretty easy to take off yourself. Just place your rim under your car as a jack on one side and then put the jack on the other side and take them down to pepboys.

#8 ·
Originally posted by schilke@May 3 2005, 05:46 AM
Rear rotors are nearly shot, would that make the steering wheel wobble?

As far as the alignment, what were you told dopey?
[snapback]340401[/snapback]​

The rear rotors being warped wouldn't be felt in the steering wheel. But you will get a "pulsating" effect when brakes applied.

#9 ·
I had a similar 'feel' to the steering wheel. Turned out my tires where shot (previous owner stored the car for 8 months without inflating the tires to 50lbs). 4 new tires later - problem is gone. Not a cheap fix but it was a fix.

Bob

#10 ·
Well When I told the mech about my problem, He suggested an alignment. So I decided to get other advise. It turns out the front right wheel is turning slightly right and the front left tire is also turning slightly right. He told me that made it hard for me to turn left or right because if I turned right, it would go too much, and if I turned left, it would cause resistance. Another way you could tell if you need an alignment with stock suspension is by checking your tires and seeing if the inside or outside is getting eaten. IF your tires look fine, then it really might be your rotors like everyone is saying. I hope this helped.

#12 ·
Before you go ahead and spend 200$ on new rotors, check the control arm bushings. If they are worn, they are the culprit. Even if they look fine, they could still contribute to the vibration (for instance, if you upraded your suspension and wheels and still driving on stock -non M3- bushings).
If the rotors are warped, you will probably get more pronounced vibration, and at all speed.
Hope this help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.