BMW Werkz banner

Popcorn Smell?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  whitey_E30 
#1 ·
First post; :wave

A friend of mine just got into a mnior front end collision. Needless to say, both drivers agreed, out a fear of rising insurance rates, to ignore the accident and deal with it on their own. Now my friend says that a strange popcorn smell is coming from the car. It's not coming from any specific direction in the car, more just a general aroma.

I asked him if there were any other problems, but other than low oil, he hasn't noticed anything. (Although he is pretty car inept).

I'm going to be checking out the car tomorrow, checking for leaks, trying to replicate the problem, etc.

Any thoughts on what this could be or at least where to start looking?

Thanks,
Cameron01A4 :driving

#2 ·
Did he collide with an Orville Redenbacher delivery truck? :lmao2

Originally posted by Cameron01A4@Apr 27 2005, 01:10 AM
First post; :wave

A friend of mine just got into a mnior front end collision. Needless to say, both drivers agreed, out a fear of rising insurance rates, to ignore the accident and deal with it on their own. Now my friend says that a strange popcorn smell is coming from the car. It's not coming from any specific direction in the car, more just a general aroma.

I asked him if there were any other problems, but other than low oil, he hasn't noticed anything. (Although he is pretty car inept).

I'm going to be checking out the car tomorrow, checking for leaks, trying to replicate the problem, etc.

Any thoughts on what this could be or at least where to start looking?

Thanks,
[snapback]338155[/snapback]​

#3 ·
Especially with a front end hit...it is probably coolant. Coolant can sometimes have a sweet smell, and i could defenitely see a small leak forming from a good knock. Check the radiator and hoses. As long as the radiator itself isn't cracked, it should be an easy/quick fix.

#4 ·
coolant has a funny smell when it starts burning off a hot engine component, its not quite popcorn, but its something to look into. I had a heater valve and auxiliary heater pump fail and it produced a wierd ass smell from the coolant burning off.

#5 ·
I took his car into the auto shop to look at, and nothing was wrong. I went and asked him about it, and it turns out he just found out his passenger was drinking some kind of wierd goat milk drink, and when they hit, she spilled. The smell was the result of it spoiling in the hot car.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.