BMW Werkz banner

What Happens To Air Temperature Sensor

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dblmikeusa1 
#1 ·
I am hoping to get this question answered. One issue I am faced with before I purchase a CAI is where willl this component go. Currently it is attached to the upper side of the stock air box. My main questions are, where, if anywhere, does the part attach to and what are the issues, if any, with leaving it disconnected?

#2 ·
Originally posted by dblmikeusa1@Apr 15 2005, 07:55 PM
I am hoping to get this question answered. One issue I am faced with before I purchase a CAI is where willl this component go. Currently it is attached to the upper side of the stock air box. My main questions are, where, if anywhere, does the part attach to and what are the issues, if any, with leaving it disconnected?
[snapback]333102[/snapback]​

some intakes have a place for it, some don't. Most people just zip tie it next to the intake. Seems to work okay in the airstream.

#7 ·
Wait... you sure your talking about the same thing here...

If you have an M... its in the left hand brake cooling duct.... there is a hole there... its fits there..

Just if you wanted to know I guess....

You can just zip tie it somewhere close to the outside air flow... but still within the engine compartment.

Good Luck,

Les

#8 ·
Originally posted by dblmikeusa1@Apr 15 2005, 08:42 PM
Is this where the car gets the reading for the temp guage by the clock?
[snapback]333129[/snapback]​

No. The sensor in the intake is for a heating element in the throttle body, and, I think, the icv. For very cold weather. The sensor for the OBC should be in one of the brake ducts.

#9 ·
So then are there any repercussions to removing it from its original loaction and "zip tying" out of the way? Does anyone know what this may do to the cars performance? My guess would be the cooler it would sense the temperature of the air the better it would run...???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.