BMW Werkz banner

Removing Pin Stripping

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  exceldetail 
#1 ·
Reading through the forums and looking at countless other BMWs, I have realized that my car is the only one I've seen with pin stripping. I am not a big fan of this, and was wondering how hard it is to remove, and what kind of residue is left behind and what it takes to clean it off. I was also wondering about removing the 325i emblem on the back, although that is not nearly as gay looking, and kinda nice sometimes.

#2 ·
If the pinstripe is a vinyl add on then there is a rubber like wheel attachment you can buy at an autobody supply shop that goes onto a drill. It will take off the stripe without damaging the paint. If it is painted on it is very difficult to remove without damaging the paint under/ around the stripe.

#4 ·
if its vinyl u can use oven cleaner u just have to re wax the spot no harm to your paint believe it or not
first try picking at one of the ends w/your finger nail that worked for me , just take your time and one it starts to come off keep you hands close to the car ot the pin striping will snap/break and its like starting a rol of tape :yup

#5 ·
I removed the pin stripe on mine with some plastic scrapers desigined to remove stuff like that.

Now the pin strip has been on the car since 87 so it left a gluey residue behind on most spots.

I used a paint thinner to remove the glue, BEFORE YOU USE THE THINNER, test it on your paint. Some paint will rub off into the rag you use with the thinner, but not a noticable amount.

Finish up with a hard waxing on all removed spots, if your car is old and has been baking in the sun for a few years, there might be some color difference underneath the stripes to the color everywhere else.

But all in all, it makes your car look sportyer.

Good luck

#6 ·
A little 3M adhesive remover and a blow dryer takes it right off. Just make sure you wipe up the reamaing adhesive remover. It will take off some of your wax so just make sure you put some wax on it after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.