BMW Werkz banner

New To The Site, I Just Bought A 1995 Bmw 318is!!

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  93 325i 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! Tommorow, i am going to go and pick up a black 1995 BMW 318is that I just bought. After test driving it, I really liked the handling of it and I want to work on making it faster. It's a standard and I was wondering how well a turbo charger kit would run in this car. Please, if yall got any info on the car and about putting a turbo on it let me know! Thanks!! :driving

#5 ·
Downing Atlanta has a supercharger designed specifically for the 318i. It will give you approximately 50% more power throughout the rpm range. It is "on" only about 25 % of the time. In total you should end up with over 200 HP to move your puppy through the pack. I just lost my address to Atlanta/Downing so I'll see if I can edit it in.

Check this out: if you send for a quote you will be rewarded with a very good four page read of the product - I bet you like it: http://www.downingatlanta.com/

#6 ·
Originally posted by Cruzin 323is@Apr 5 2005, 10:18 PM
first off, welcome to the forums

but turboing a 318 is pointless... your gunna drop so much money into the car to hold the turbo, that your better off getting a 325 or 328
[snapback]326395[/snapback]​
Im with Cruzin, Im sure the 318's are nice cars.... but if your looking for performance I think its pretty unreasonable to consider this car for it. Your much better off buying a 325/328 (I think some older M3 would fall into this catergory too) vs. dropping another 5K into a 4 banger.

#7 ·
..Not necessarily. The 318 is lighter and more nimble than a 325/328. Add the S/C and the power to weight ratio would be better than any 325 w/ bolt ons and give a 328 with bolt ons a good run for the money. Overall you can go either way on this one. The S/C is like $3K i think. Definitely look into it

#9 ·
True....... how much is the 318 + $3400 S/C (dont forget install $$$ for most members here) vs a 325 or 328?

I have a feeling taking that into account the prices are about the same, and you may want to consider going N/A with more upside.

Its probably 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other though.......

#11 ·
I'm also new to BMW's, what kind of engine could be "dropped" into my 325is? Or is the engine in it already suitable, also how much hp does it have stock?!

#12 ·
Originally posted by shoobaca+Apr 6 2005, 01:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shoobaca @ Apr 6 2005, 01:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanx for all the info guys! I look forward to being on this forum alot. Would an engine swap be more beneficial as far as options for more power? If so, what kind of engine?
[snapback]326740[/snapback]​
[/b]

Putting a 6 cyl in the 318 requires a lot of work. Motor mounts are different and you'd need a ton of extra parts. It's more cost feasible to S/C or get an actual 6er.. That being said it is possible tho to be done just big $$$$..

<!--QuoteBegin-Phrozen
@Apr 6 2005, 03:31 PM
I'm also new to BMW's, what kind of engine could be "dropped" into my 325is? Or is the engine in it already suitable, also how much hp does it have stock?!
[snapback]326886[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Your lucky my friend. If you were to swap to an S50 (1995 M3 engine) it is a direct fit.. Just swap out old and in with the new. Your curent M50 has 189 HP stock and 180 ft/lbs torque

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.