Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91 - Premium

• 94 - Super Premium

What Kind Of Gas Do You Use?

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  DixonHill 
#1 ·
Thought I'd put this one up, because I havent been here long and I'm curious to see what E30 drivers feed their Bimmers. These are all Canadian numbers, don't know if the grade numbers are different in the US of A.

For the record, I only discovered the existance of Super Premium this morning at our local Chevron. 94 octane? Sounded like the ticket. So I bought a tank, and yahoo, the car runs amazing. Especially when you step on it. Smooth as a turbine. It was a 1.08 a litre, which is painful, but ah well. Regular will get there eventually.

So you know how I voted. :gulp

#3 ·
87 for the saab, 89 for the 325iS.

#8 ·
Gas prices do suck. $1.08 for a litre of gasoline is highway robbery, even if it IS 94 octane. Kowalski, why go from Chevron to Shell and then back to Chevron? Chevron is the only gas I put in the 325e, and if you run it awhile with that gas, the ICV flutter and dead-cold power surges go away. Switch back to other gas, and the problems return.

Chevron with Techron 94. Rocket fuel in disguise. :rock

#9 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@Apr 2 2005, 12:15 AM
Gas prices do suck. $1.08 for a litre of gasoline is highway robbery, even if it IS 94 octane. Kowalski, why go from Chevron to Shell and then back to Chevron? Chevron is the only gas I put in the 325e, and if you run it awhile with that gas, the ICV flutter and dead-cold power surges go away. Switch back to other gas, and the problems return.

Chevron with Techron 94. Rocket fuel in disguise. :rock
[snapback]323563[/snapback]​
after 5,000 the deposits build up and because the different companies have diff gases they eat away the other deposits after 5000 theres decent build up switch to shell for a grand to remove it all and then back to chevron. and yes i love chevron:) however i have problems with either gas i think its my plat. plugs im going to change them when i get off my ass, tomorrow im doing my tensioner and exhaust gaskets so maybe ill pick up some copper plugs:)

#12 ·
Admittedly, the only reason I'm on here is because I more or less inherited an 84 318i this week... so I haven't had to put gas in it yet... but will most likely put 87 in it when I do. Anybody know what our cars are actually designed to run? If they're timed for 87 then running it on 94 would just leave you with unburned fuel and possibly additional buildup in your engine. The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns.

#15 ·
Originally posted by e30bmwes@Apr 3 2005, 03:21 PM
91 in my car it seems to run alot better on it
[snapback]324681[/snapback]​
if an e30 runs better with high octane fuel on a stock engine, you have excessive carbon deposits in your engine(perhaps among other things). 87 is the only thing you should have to use, and if its well maintained, with a 8.8 c/r (just an example, as thats what the 325i has) you wouldn't notice an increase in hp.

keep buying that premium if you want, but its pissed money away. and whoever mentioned it that 91/94 burns slower is right, it can negatively effect a low c/r engine.

#16 ·
Originally posted by nukeduster+Apr 5 2005, 03:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nukeduster @ Apr 5 2005, 03:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-e30bmwes@Apr 3 2005, 03:21 PM
91 in my car it seems to run alot better on it
[snapback]324681[/snapback]​
if an e30 runs better with high octane fuel on a stock engine, you have excessive carbon deposits in your engine(perhaps among other things). 87 is the only thing you should have to use, and if its well maintained, with a 8.8 c/r (just an example, as thats what the 325i has) you wouldn't notice an increase in hp.

keep buying that premium if you want, but its pissed money away. and whoever mentioned it that 91/94 burns slower is right, it can negatively effect a low c/r engine.
[snapback]326189[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

actualy the M42 has a way higher compresion ratio and your supposed to put 91 in the 318s even with the stock chip.

#18 ·
Some time back I installed the Dinan Chip for my 1985 325e so I use 91 Chevron in California.

Used to use 93 in Indiana when I lived there briefly. Just got the car back after a 4 year gap (sold it to a friend, then bought it back) and I'm pretty sure he only used 87, which I'm hoping didn't do too much damage. She's running a bit rough (not sure if it's due to gas or age), but I'm pumping her full of Chevron and Injector cleaner and just installed a K&N which she really liked.

-Dix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.