BMW Werkz banner

Mast Antenna

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Kowalski 
#1 ·
:banghead I'm so stupid.

I took my 325e through the carwash today, turned the radio off and was very careful of the signs and instructions and all that. Car looked clean and ready to go (did the full service wash with underwash, lots of suds, hot wax, etc).

Only one problem. It took my radio antenna.

The damn thing must not have retracted. It snapped clean off at the base.

So, now I'm out an antenna. And possibly the whole damn mechanism. Priced out, installed its gonna cost me $365 cdn. The mast antenna on its own is $60, but I think the drive motor is shot (why else would it refuse to go down?).

Suggestions on replacing this thing, and any aftermarket solutions that would replace it but look relatively stock? Thanks.

:banghead

#2 ·
if ur antenea was down did it suck it up? if it did you can complain bout that maybe get them to pay for it with a big comotion

#4 ·
If your drive motor is shot you wouldnt hear anything when you turn your radio on and off. It it was just the antenna you would hear the motor whirring as it tries to pull the antenna down or push it up. Have someone listen in the trunk as you turn your radio on and off for noise coming from the motor. If you do hear something, just replace the mast, its easy to do, Ive had to do it a few times. Just make sure you get the right mast, some have teeth on the plastic cable and some dont.

#7 ·
you couldf go to can. tire and get one of the stubby skinny opnes it bolts right up small, black, and have no problems. i have an xtra motor, but yourr getting ripped on labour, do the job yourself,, its easy.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Kowalski@Mar 30 2005, 04:45 PM
you couldf go to can. tire and get one of the stubby skinny opnes it bolts right up small, black, and have no problems. i have an xtra motor, but yourr getting ripped on labour, do the job yourself,, its easy.
[snapback]321802[/snapback]​

I agree, you are getting raped on labor. It really isn't that hard to do.

#9 ·
Originally posted by german-speed-demon+Mar 31 2005, 07:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(german-speed-demon @ Mar 31 2005, 07:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Kowalski@Mar 30 2005, 04:45 PM

[snapback]322121[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

on that note, anyone know a good place to get a low profile antenna? Ive bent my antenna beyond repair .. they dont stand up to high speed driving :nope

#11 ·
Hmmm...
I would re think this one .

#1 the radio was on.?

#2 The plastic gear rod snaped

#3 The #28 fuse blew and the mast stayed up thru the car wash.

#4 there is no signal going to from the radio to the antena.

#5 the antena motor is totally fried.

Get a volt meter and have a buddy turn the radio on and off
while you check the white plug for juice, where it plugs into the
antena motor.

If the motor is running when you turn on /off the radio.
the mast rod is snapped and it is an easy fix.

I would still pull the motor and clean and lube it up and make sure
there is no broken pieces etc. stuff in there .

I picked up a mast at a local import store for $35.Instructions right on the plastic bag.

Have a nice day !

:band

#12 ·
Originally posted by nukeduster+Mar 31 2005, 10:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nukeduster @ Mar 31 2005, 10:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by german-speed-demon@Mar 31 2005, 07:52 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kowalski
@Mar 30 2005, 04:45 PM

[snapback]322121[/snapback]​
on that note, anyone know a good place to get a low profile antenna? Ive bent my antenna beyond repair .. they dont stand up to high speed driving :nope
[snapback]322128[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

BMP Design in Tyler Texas has a M3 style antenna for $60 Here's the link

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/prod.../category_id/26

take a look.

#13 ·
Originally posted by german-speed-demon@Mar 31 2005, 08:12 AM
:rock take it out, shave the hole, and go to XM!!!!!!

sorry, i'll look though! :driving
[snapback]322130[/snapback]​
Haha, would make the car much more streamlined, I agree, but I didn't bother getting a fancy XM headunit when I put the new one in the car. Just your straight FM/AM/CD is all I needed.

Thanks everyone for the links. Those ARE better prices on the part. Maybe I should just do it myself. I think I figured it out. To my knowledge the power antenna was working before I went through the wash. So I think it did go down. Then it got sucked back up by the machinery, and then ripped off by the dryer at the end. Of course, NOW I don't hear any whirring when I turn the radio off because loads of sudsy, hot wax water got dumped down the empty antenna hole, and the mast stump is crimped anyways, so it won't move.

:) I get to talk with an insurance adjuster today. Wish me luck, I might get a new antenna out of the deal.

#16 ·
HEY, just had a thought!

german-speed-demon, you know how you said shave the hole? Well I got to thinking just how sweet that would look. But instead of going satellite, i could get a real small black rubber mast antenna like those seen on the roofs of VWs, and affix it to the rear of my roof.

Whadyathink?

#17 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@Apr 2 2005, 12:24 AM
HEY, just had a thought!

german-speed-demon, you know how you said shave the hole? Well I got to thinking just how sweet that would look. But instead of going satellite, i could get a real small black rubber mast antenna like those seen on the roofs of VWs, and affix it to the rear of my roof.

Whadyathink?
[snapback]323570[/snapback]​
i had that for a while, i like the look, duno why i changed it back i think its cause my antena cable brtoke to the roof one and i didn't wanna rewire it... i like the look tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.