BMW Werkz banner

Pre-owned 2000 328i

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hogo 
#1 ·
Hi - I just got sharp 2000 328i (sport package, xenons,...). I like the looks and drive. With 119K miles on it, I am kind of excited that it will give me something to tinker with, but very eager to update car's service schedule. Anybody has any suggestions as to what I can do or where to start? Will get it done outside not at home - unless it is simple stuff. Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
I would do the usual, change all the filters - fuel, air (K&N - won't need to change it again), and cabin. Oil Change and new plugs, radiator flush and change, if auto (and I'm assuming it isn't since sports package) a transmission flush (not drain - which only gets rid of some of the fluid) and change of fluid. The nice thing if you do this and you're close to Service number two, you'll have done just about everything.

If you plan to run 91+ gas permanently, you might want to shark your car (upgrade the software) to take advantage of the higher premium gas.

#3 ·
Congrats on the new ride. :cheers I suggest checking your belts (which you've probably done already).

I can't really add anything other than what's been said so far but I can say that (based on another thread at the site) changing out your spark plugs - especially if it hasn't been done in awhile - shows a definite boost in gas mileage and performance.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone.. So summing up I need following: Change all filters (Fuel, Air, cabin) - can I cahnge the Air and Cabin myself?, Change Oil, Change Plugs, Flush Radiator, Flush Transmission (mine is a auto with sportronic, so both auto and manual, and I thought 328 came with lifetime tranny oil), and Service II - whenever it is due. Questions - Oil change on this Beemer was done at a non-BMW shop - so the counter is not reset. Do you recommend doing these services at a dealer, BMW independent, or a generic?. Does anyone recommend getting a device that you can use to reset the oil changes, and decode engine codes? so far, I like the ride.

#6 ·
If you flush your trany about every 75,000 or so, you will reduce the risk of a new trany install by mucho. BMW claims it tranny fluid is lifetime, but my own service rep at BMW recommended a flush. This only makes sense when you consider what a work out the tranny gets, how expensive it is to replace, and how cheap a flush is $150 in Canada so cheaper in the states.

Changing the air and cabin filters are easy. Changing the oil, if you learn to do it yourself to keep costs down, even with synthetic oil should be changed around 10,000 miles or more. Again when you had a car like I had that developed "blow back" (not a BMW) because I didn't change the oil enough, you realize what a favour you are doing to the motor by changing the oil frequently.

I use two types of "garages" - a BMW service dept and an independent that works only on BMW's. For an oil change, I don't mind using the oil change quicky types but make sure you know what type of oil goes in, and they don't make a switch on you - claiming to know what they are doing, only for you to find out they are wrong - been there, done that.

I haven't used a reset tool for the oil light. I try to change the oil more, then have it done again at the dealer for the service checks.

#7 ·
The 2000 328i have some issues with the Steptronic transmission (research "steptronic" on this site), so keeping it WELL maintained is a good idea. I would have a shop flush it for you, especially at your high of mileage. All filters and plugs on this car are cake to replace. Even some of the sensors on the engine take less than an hour a piece.

Do NOT wait for 10,000+ miles to change your oil. I waited 9,000 and that might have been what caused my camshaft position sensor to crack, resulting in stalls and crappy gas mileage. Even though the "oil service" light says you can go 15,000 miles, don't go any longer than the 7,500 half-way point for an oil change. Then do your Service Intervals at the 15Ks.

But two items ASAP: a Fault Code reader/Reset tool and the Bentley manual. At most, it'll be $250 for the two of 'em. You'll save that much your first trip to the dealership.

#8 ·
Service Done at a Local Import Mechanic

Just an update - Got following services done for about $1400... (in April' 05)

Front+Rear Brake Pads+Sensors (no rotors)
Water Pump +Thermostat
Service Pack2 + Oil Change
Rear Seals (Differential)
Coolant Sensor
Check Engine Light fixed (VANOS)
Check General (Suspension + Exterior)

It's been more than 18 months... happy so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.