BMW Werkz banner

Check Engine Light Turned On...

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Turbodefrost 
#1 ·
so i was just coming home from school. my abs light comes on, as usual, it comes on almost everytime i drive. but then something veeery bad happened. first the check engine light comes on as i'm sitting at a stop light and the rpms start going up and down, almost killing the car. so i keep my foot on the gas till i get home. when i got into the driveway, i let it idle, the rpms went up, then i died. i turned it on and same thing for about 3 tries. :banghead what's happening??? what's goiing on? any help would be great.

#2 ·
turn your key to the fully on position but do not start the car, pump the gas pedal 4 times relatively quickly. The check engine light will blink out several error codes (four groups of blinks, count the number of blinks, 4 blinks for 4, 2 for 2, etc)

post em up and I'll give you an idea what's going on.

#7 ·
so i took the advice of 'capslinky' he said to take off my intake and hit the MAF/AFM thing on the grill with the butt of a screwdriver. so i did that, not sure if it worked. he said he had the same problem. so my check engine light turned off after that, and it seems to be working ok. i can hear an air leak in the engine bay, i'll post some pics of the hose i think it's coming from. but that sound may have been there all the time, i might have just not noticed the noise. so tomorrow will tell if that crazy idea worked. so now that the check engine light isn't on anymore so i can't get the codes, or maybe i'm just stupid and i can't figure out how to get the light to blink. but thanks for the input.

#8 ·
so here's the hose where i think the air leak is coming from. but i'm not even sure if there's a leak. i could just be hearing sounds that've always been there, but i've never noticed before. but if some one could tell me what the hose is? that would help to clear things up a lot. thanks!

#15 ·
update: car DID IT AGAIN, but worse this time!!!! ugh. so it was fine today, i didn't drive it. just started it up to move it for another car, then when i started it to go to work, it was the same thing! first it just died. then after starting a second time, it stayed on (barely). it smelled like gasoline quite strong, and when i revved up the rpms a little, SMOKE started coming out the exhaust and, the whole car sounded REALLY bad. i have no idea what the hell is wrong, so i'm taking it to my mechanic on monday. so isn't that why people buy more expensive and nice cars? so they DON'T do shit like this? this's retarted.

#16 ·
well i brought it into the shop today. they'll be looking at it tomorrow. wish me luck!! oh, and i might be selling my car sometime soon. i really just can't afford to keep it right now. i'm gonna buy a cheaper car till college is over, then i'll be back to the BMW world. anyone wanna give me $9500 for it?

#19 ·
yeah oh well, i don't really wanna touch my car after what happened last time i tried a DIY. turned a $100 fix to a $800 fix. but yeah i'm most likely putting my car up for sale soon. i just can't afford maintaining it, and i'll be going off to university soon. but after school is done, maybe an m3!

#22 ·
Originally posted by Turbodefrost@Mar 28 2005, 04:11 PM
yeah oh well, i don't really wanna touch my car after what happened last time i tried a DIY. turned a $100 fix to a $800 fix. but yeah i'm most likely putting my car up for sale soon. i just can't afford maintaining it, and i'll be going off to university soon. but after school is done, maybe an m3!
[snapback]320223[/snapback]​
didnt you just get it? i remember seeing the car for sale at by design

David

#23 ·
Originally posted by 93 325i@Mar 28 2005, 01:11 PM
book price on the sensor is like $150 and they charged you an hour labor, sounds right. If you were able to read your codes you could have bought a sensor for $85 and installed yourself. Live and learn my friend
[snapback]320143[/snapback]​
yeah i tried reading my codes a few times, but couldn't get it to work. :confused whatever, it's done with

#24 ·
Originally posted by bigred318+Mar 28 2005, 08:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred318 @ Mar 28 2005, 08:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Turbodefrost@Mar 28 2005, 04:11 PM
yeah oh well, i don't really wanna touch my car after what happened last time i tried a DIY.  turned a $100 fix to a $800 fix.  but yeah i'm most likely putting my car up for sale soon.  i just can't afford maintaining it, and i'll be going off to university soon.  but after school is done, maybe an m3!
[snapback]320223[/snapback]​
didnt you just get it? i remember seeing the car for sale at by design

David
[snapback]320459[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

i've had it for a year now. so yeah i kinda just got it. but i just can't afford maintaining it right now. but a BMW will definitely be in my garage once i'm done with school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.