BMW Werkz banner

E39 528i - Judder Over 70mph

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jmitch 
#1 ·
Hi

I have just bought a 97 528i, and am experiencing some judder at 70 - 80 mph. I took it to get the wheels aligned and balanced, but the problem does not seem to have gone away. Although you can feel it through the steering wheel there is no vibration on the steering wheel, it is felt more through my spine. (it's not too bad, like it doesn't clatter your teeth or anything, just annoying enough to worry me). Any ideas ?

#2 ·
Originally posted by jmitch@Mar 22 2005, 03:16 AM
Hi

I have just bought a 97 528i, and am experiencing some judder at 70 - 80 mph. I took it to get the wheels aligned and balanced, but the problem does not seem to have gone away. Although you can feel it through the steering wheel there is no vibration on the steering wheel, it is felt more through my spine. (it's not too bad, like it doesn't clatter your teeth or anything, just annoying enough to worry me). Any ideas ?
[snapback]316254[/snapback]​
It could very likely be your tires...
Do you also hear some tire noise, especially at slow speeds?

Do you feel it when you apply the brakes? If you do, it could also be your control arm bushings...

Perhaps these are the two possible causes you could start looking at.
Good Luck!

#4 ·
Originally posted by jmitch@Mar 22 2005, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the answer. No tyre noise really, the only other symptoin is maybe a slmall knocking sensation through the steering wheel from the front.
[snapback]316257[/snapback]​
Then I guess you should take a look at the control arm bushings, balljoints, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.