BMW Werkz banner

How Hard Is It?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  e30fanm3 
#1 ·
I want to know if the oil filter on a 1989 318i is easily accesible and easy to replace. I think my engine is a M40.

#2 ·
B) the oil filter is just under and on the left side of the engine (when you face the car).
If you just crowl under your engine you should see it .

I once changed the oil and the oil filter on the 318 i of a friend.

real easy operation. takes like half an hour max. :wrench

#6 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Mar 19 2005, 07:55 PM
just bustin his balls, i was a noob to the bimmer world at one time too and got my balls busted. thats how it goes
[snapback]314725[/snapback]​
Hey man, I was just asking because every car is different, I have changed the oil filter on all my cars and some of them were not that easy because the location they were in, I just wanted to now if it was easy to reach, that's all.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Gabrielpr12+Mar 19 2005, 01:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gabrielpr12 @ Mar 19 2005, 01:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-e30fanm3@Mar 19 2005, 07:55 PM
just bustin his balls, i was a noob to the bimmer world at one time too and got my balls busted. thats how it goes
[snapback]314725[/snapback]​
Hey man, I was just asking because every car is different, I have changed the oil filter on all my cars and some of them were not that easy because the location they were in, I just wanted to now if it was easy to reach, that's all.
[snapback]314794[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

couldn't you just look under the car? i love the M42 oil filter its just one nut and then you take the top of the container off and pull the filter out and its on top of the engine:) not under the car takes about 1 min flat.

#8 ·
ya, changing the oil and filter on any car is seriously the easiest DIY job you can do. I have done so much more on my car (changing the clutch/flywheel, brakes, wheel bearings etc.) As long as you have a good service maunal like haynes or bentley you can fix most things on the older bimmers without too much difficulty.

Good luck

#9 ·
Originally posted by RealBMW 02@Mar 19 2005, 02:10 PM
ya, changing the oil and filter on any car is seriously the easiest DIY job you can do.  I have done so much more on my car (changing the clutch/flywheel, brakes, wheel bearings etc.) As long as you have a good service maunal like haynes or bentley you can fix most things on the older bimmers without too much difficulty.

Good luck
[snapback]314805[/snapback]​
alll you need the manuel for is the torque specs, everything on a car is straight forward. altho the books do somtimes contain helpfull tips and help you not to forget things. it would be nice if they made a book for my car:(

#10 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Mar 19 2005, 08:08 AM
omg that is the hardest thing you could ever want to do to a 318! i would advise taking it somewhere cause youll never get it , its tough dude!

lol noob
[snapback]314594[/snapback]​
This is all he ever does!
If you don't have anything productive to say, then don't say anything at all!
If you just want to B.S. then go to the lounge!

#11 ·
you have obviously not read all of my posts in various topics, yes i am sarcastic alot but who cares, i thought this was supposed to be a fun place

i knew his question would be answered so i figured i would poke at him a little

chill out and quit being so sensitive, i dont get mad when someone makes me feel dumb, its all in fun

#12 ·
Originally posted by e30fanm3@Mar 19 2005, 05:22 PM
you have obviously not read all of my posts in various topics, yes i am sarcastic alot but who cares, i thought this was supposed to be a fun place

i knew his question would be answered so i figured i would poke at him a little

chill out and quit being so sensitive, i dont get mad when someone makes me feel dumb, its all in fun
[snapback]314887[/snapback]​
i love sarcasim:) im from the wescoast which explains that. nothing wrong with a little poke here and there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.