Would the RetroFit Nav Unit work just for Radio and OBC? I dont want it for GPS/Nav - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Question Would the RetroFit Nav Unit work just for Radio and OBC? I dont want it for GPS/Nav

I did a search that led me to over 50 pages of info and 20 various threads that did not answer my quest and left me slightly more confused.

Most of you get the Nav Retrofit for the GPS function. I already have a 2009 Tom Tom Go 730 in my car and don't require a dinosaur OEM GPS unit, but I do like the Nav for aesthetics and to get the CD/Radio/OBC/Alarm functions coded on one interface.

Can I just install the Head Unit (like if it was another radio head unit) in the dash and code it at the dealership and get all the other functions to work?

...or do I NEED the entire kit installed to get just the CD/Radio working?

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Cant see why not, I would have thought it would be like doing the retro fit and not attaching the nav unit. On my 7 if I unplug the sat nav everything else still works fine, radio, monitor, tv, OBC.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
marti are you sure about that? Navi sends the RGB (red green blue) video signals to the screen. Without the Navi the screen should not work unless you have a factory video module which is supplying the signals. Also you will be removing your factory radio from the dash and need to buy a cd43 radio or BM53 which mounts in the LR corner of the trunk.

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Ah Marti,
I see now you said your TV still works. This is why you still have a screen. because you have the TV option your video module is still suplying the screen with the correct RGB signals. He would have to buy either a Navi module or a Video module to power the screen. DelMarco, if your going with the 16:9 wide screen then the navi module is probably cheaper. If you're going with the 4:3 screen thenyou can prob get a video module cheaper.

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Franklin White is on a distinguished road
I have a 97 740i with a radio that comes on sporadically at full volume and then goes off. I've talked to bestbuy and they want me to put in an amplifier bypass with the new radio. Is this really necessary with a 56w 4channel output?
Franklin White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)