Worth Getting Paint Chip Fixed? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW-NC is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Worth Getting Paint Chip Fixed?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. Just bought a 2007 BMW 328i with 27k on it. Its only been a month and someone already scraped the back left part of my car. It took out about a 2" circle of paint and other small scratches. I got an insurance quote, filed a police report and am now debating on getting it fixed. Is it worth to fix this (the collision place is repainting the whole bumper and quarter panel) or just take the insurance money and do touch-up paint with the chip. What are yalls thoughts?

I want it fixed cause I only had it a month. Heard that Dr. Colorchip might work for the smaller paint scratches.

Thanks!

-Ryan

2007 BMW 328i Sport Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:46 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Do you have a pic?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yea ill post it tomorrow. let me know what you think.

#4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 10:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Here is the picture of the damage. Its not that bad. There is one scrape on the side as well. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw damage.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	29489  

#5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 10:40 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Personally I'd get the best repair possible.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM
n00b

bimmerjohn is on a distinguished road
I had a scrape bigger than that on my rear bumper. Some jerk scraped it in the parking lot and of course took off without leaving me a note.

I tried the little bottle of touch up paint from Pep Boys and that just didn't do it for a 3-4 inch scrape. Got a quote from a shop and it was going to be $200 to fix it. I said screw it and just got a spray can from Touch Up Paint Online - Remove Car Scratches for $20, covered up the surrounding area, sanded it, painted, then clearcoat. You can never tell it was there and I was surprised how nice of a job these spray cans can do. I guess it's technically factory paint, just that instead of using a spray gun, you use a can.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
I would definitely have that fixed. I had something that size on my rear bumper once and a friend had it professionally repaired for a b-day gift. Of course, less then one year later, some douchenozzle did a hit and run in the parking lot (I feel your pain, bimmerjohn) and the EXACT same thing happened in the EXACT same spot. I took the car to get it detailed shortly after and asked them to also just fix any spots. They did some effed up job and hadn't even bothered to use the correct color. It's like they just went, "Eh, it's white. Let's use white". So, I would definitely recommend you fixing it yourself if you can't find a quote that you like from someone who will do more than a stupid touch up. Touch up paint for itty bitty stuff is one thing. For something that size... Either way, I'll stop rambling and just end with. "Yes, fix it".
#8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hey all,

I decided to fix it myself. The guy who quoted me quote almost $1000 and even though I got an insurance check I will do it myself. I have looked at many different options. Do you all have any do-it-yourself suggestions? I was gonna use Dr. Colorchip for a small scrape (not visible in picture), and use a paint kit for the 2 scratches. What suggestions do you have for the paint kit?

Thanks!

#9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
n00b

bimmerjohn is on a distinguished road
No kit will fix paint the size of a 2 inch circle. Kits are typically used for match head size chips. You need to order spray cans and redo the small area if you want it to look right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)