BMW Werkz banner

Winter Tires & Rims

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bimmerguy328i 
#1 ·
I'm planning on getting a set of winter tires, and I was wondering if I should get a rims+tires package or just the tires (and use my existing rims).

I know the process of stripping, installing, and balancing tires takes longer than simply swapping the wheels, but are there any other issues I need to be concerned about? I can get a set of winter tires off my friend cheap, that's why I don't want to go for a tires+rims package unless it's necessary.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

#2 ·
One of the benefits of going with Winter Tires is saving your Rims from salt!
Tires are not meant to be taken off the rims and re-installed two times a year.
You will damage them and your rims as well.
Better to buy a set of steel wheels and just have the winter tires mounted to them!
Makes the switch over much easier as well!
The cost of taking the tires off the rims then putting the snows on and balancing them in the winter...then the reverse in the spring will more than offset the cost of the steel rims in one season!
good luck!

#3 ·
have done both. last vehicle i owned i changed on the mags 2twicw a year with no problems. On my 330 ix i have steel wheels for the winter. part of my decision was they are lower profile 205 50 17 versus 225 55 16 and our roads suck. rather destroy a steel rim rather than a mag .

buy your friends tires and as set of stell wheels

#4 ·
I just got my summer package for my 328i which is a set of 18' Mparallel rims AAA Rims Look for M Parallel Wheels with MICHELIN PILOT SPORT All Seasons (unfortunately) The Best Tyres on the Market! But Right Now i have my ugly all season conti's on my 17 inch style #44 Star wheels. Definetly Have a Winter set and a Summer set, makes for more fun too.

E46 328i
Mods: Angel Eyes (CCFL), Alpine Head Unit, Intake, More to come

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.