BMW Werkz banner

Winter Tires 2004 330i

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  OneLuckyPuppy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone just would like some feedback, as I am approaching my first winter with my new 330i. I have done some searching and am finding that the tires on the car currently (from the manufacturer) will not cut in in an Ontario Canada winter. I have come across this deal for tires and rims and would like some of your advice.

The tires are BRAND NEW 225/45/R17 Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip II, and the BMW rims. I have attached some pictures of the rims and tires. The asking price is $1800 Cdn.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks
Thief

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by Thief@Oct 14 2004, 03:23 PM
Hey everyone just would like some feedback, as I am approaching my first winter with my new 330i. I have done some searching and am finding that the tires on the car currently (from the manufacturer) will not cut in in an Ontario Canada winter. I have come across this deal for tires and rims and would like some of your advice.

The tires are BRAND NEW 225/45/R17 Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip II, and the BMW rims. I have attached some pictures of the rims and tires. The asking price is $1800 Cdn.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks
Thief
[snapback]211322[/snapback]​

#3 ·
Originally posted by j donald hunt+Oct 14 2004, 08:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j donald hunt @ Oct 14 2004, 08:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Thief@Oct 14 2004, 03:23 PM

All feedback welcome.

Thanks
Thief
[snapback]211481[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
225 45 are extremely wide for snow tires . the standard was 205 50 they are 20mm wider. I would suggest going narrower.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Thief@Oct 14 2004, 03:23 PM

All feedback welcome.

Thanks
Thief
I guess the wheels are not real BMW? Wondering why you can still get the Ultra Grip II as the III have been out for over a year. BTW the III's are very good in snow, I strongly reccomend them. Insofar as size is concerned it is ok if you drive mostly on dry pavement, if you see mostly snow in winter I would switch for 205 50's. Notwithstanding the II's the deal seems acceptable.

:driving

#6 ·
The reason they are Ultra Grip II's I am told is because the owner bought them last year for his car, but never got a chance to mount them as his car was totalled before the winter arrived. Also, How do I know if they are real BMW rims??

Thanks
Thief

#7 ·
Originally posted by Thief@Oct 17 2004, 09:26 AM
The reason they are Ultra Grip II's I am told is because the owner bought them last year for his car, but never got a chance to mount them as his car was totalled before the winter arrived.  Also, How do I know if they are real BMW rims??

Thanks
Thief
[snapback]212694[/snapback]​
Tires are probably from two years ago, I bought my III's last year. As for the wheels see the link below for BMW wheels, but I don't think they are true BMW wheels. I bought a kit including a 67 look alike and the III's for about the same price you are looking at right now, new from a reseller. If you are going the private party purchase they would appear kind of expensive considering you have no warranty on them.

http://www.kalach.easynet.be/bmw_wheels.htm

:drunk

#8 ·
Thanks for the link, and the advice. I think I will take your advice and look for not so wide a tire, as we see plenty of snow here in the great white, and if I am spending that kind of money better be something worth while.

Thanks
Thief

#9 ·
If you're looking for winter tires for your 330i, this is what you do. Get 225, 45/17 Blizzaks WS-50's. The tires you're suggesting are too wide, and displacing the cars weight over suck a large tire patch in snow will reduce your traction.

This is what I run in winter, and I've never had a problem in snow.

Good Luck,
WOSBY

#12 ·
Originally posted by WOSBY@Oct 18 2004, 10:38 AM
If you're looking for winter tires for your 330i, this is what you do. Get 225, 45/17 Blizzaks WS-50's. The tires you're suggesting are too wide, and displacing the cars weight over suck a large tire patch in snow will reduce your traction.

This is what I run in winter, and I've never had a problem in snow.

Good Luck,
WOSBY
[snapback]213352[/snapback]​
Hummm, that's the size that Thief mentionned originally so it can't be too wide if you consider them adequate. :dunno

Again size is a matter of preference (that could be used in a different context, couldn't it), snow exposure and driver qualification. I personnaly drive my 325i with 225 45 17 but I see snow 5-6 months a year so I know how to address snowy condition, like the feel of that manageable slipperyness with wider tires but mostly like the drive when it is dry! When there's a sh!tload of snow I get the Suby out with skinny tires or stay home. :nana

So Thief should decide based on his own exposure to snow.

:thud

#13 ·
My car came with snow tires on.... I should check on it's dimensions, but really, does 20mm really make that much of a BIG difference in the snow?

Dough

#14 ·
Originally posted by doughboyea@Oct 18 2004, 03:55 PM
My car came with snow tires on.... I should check on it's dimensions, but really, does 20mm really make that much of a BIG difference in the snow?

Dough
[snapback]213617[/snapback]​
Ultimately yes it does, the smaller the contact patch the better the tire digs in the snow, improving adherence. Is it significant? I would say yes if you see snow constantly in winter time as it reduces the stress of driving in the fluffy stuff, or if you are not confident about your driving skills in snow (usually if you are questionning yourself you are part of that later group). No if it's once in a while and/or are confident about your skills in snow. At the end of the day nothing replaces slowing down.

:driving

#15 ·
Like I said above I live in Ontario Canada so we see easily 4-5 months of the fluffy white stuff. I am very comfortable driving in the snow and I do less then 3 kms to get to work, in the honest truth I was gonna leave the dealer tires on the car to see how they handle.

Thief

#16 ·
Originally posted by Thief@Oct 20 2004, 10:44 PM
Like I said above I live in Ontario Canada so we see easily 4-5 months of the fluffy white stuff. I am very comfortable driving in the snow and I do less then 3 kms to get to work, in the honest truth I was gonna leave the dealer tires on the car to see how they handle.

Thief
[snapback]215282[/snapback]​

Keep them on (if you were a girl I might say take them off but that another story :D )!

I've got the 225 and I'm fine.

BTW I'm from Montreal :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.