WINTER Preparation: Sand in trunk? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
s0nginmyheart is on a distinguished road
WINTER Preparation: Sand in trunk?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. I moved from Los Angeles to Chicago about two years ago and always freak out during winter time. I will be replacing my tires this year around November, I'm thinking, with Bridgestone all-weather tires. I thought about getting winter tires as well, but I will need to replace my summer tires eventually and I don't want to shell out the money for 8 seasonal tires at the moment.

At any rate, the last time I was at my local mechanic, I mentioned that I had problems with snow/ice (as I'm sure you all have experienced) and he mentioned getting a SAND RACK for my trunk and throwing like 40 lbs of sand on each side. Now, my mechanic is often hard to understand (because he is Austrian) but is there such a thing as a sand rack that custom fits my 3? Or, did he simply mean just getting bags of sand for the trunk...

Where can I buy bags of sand? How many lbs each side? Are there cons to doing this? If there isn't a 'rack' perse, how does one ground the sand bags in the trunk so they don't shift around?

I mentioned this to my boss today, and he also said that I could buy bags of SALT (From say, Home Depot) and it would be relatively cheaper... is this a good idea?

Are there any other suggestions to prepare myself for winter this time around?

Any insight is most appreciated!

Last edited by s0nginmyheart; 09-04-2010 at 12:52 AM.
s0nginmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1991 318is, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Photos:
Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Dedicated snow tires will help your grip/handling tremendously in the snow, I think it's worth the extra cost to get some over all seasons. Tirerack.com always has good deals for wheel/tire combinations.

The sand/salt in the trunk will help add some more weight over the drive wheels but I've never done it so I can't say how much it will help with traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Nick_318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
1LOBOSS will become famous soon enough1LOBOSS will become famous soon enough
From a Canadian I say let her drift
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: Infiniti g35, MX-5
Photos:
RolandG is on a distinguished road
I would really do a dedicated snow tire/wheel combo. Sand in the trunk adds weigh over the wheels but does not give better grip. it also throws off the weight distribution.
RolandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_318is View Post
Dedicated snow tires will help your grip/handling tremendously in the snow, I think it's worth the extra cost to get some over all seasons. Tirerack.com always has good deals for wheel/tire combinations.

The sand/salt in the trunk will help add some more weight over the drive wheels but I've never done it so I can't say how much it will help with traction.
You'd be amazed what a good set of snow tires will do. I had some Blizzaks on my e46 for winter last year. Never got stuck. NEVER.

My e30 (yes it is a lighter car) got stuck at least every day with all season tires on. And I mean EVERY day.

Just noticed your sig...rock out!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
leadfoot is on a distinguished road
I am in Illinois as well. Get the winter tires, they are cheaper than the all season. I do have two sets of tires, winter and summer. As for the bags of salt, it is also a good idea, just buy two bags of salt (for water softener) and throw them in the trunk, but don't expect a miracle just with the extra weight. GET the winter tires. After a few winters in Chicago you will learn and may be able to get by with a good set of all seasons, but not yet.
leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)