Window auto up won't work when hot... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
(Thread Starter)
Window auto up won't work when hot...

My e46 rear drivers side window will ALWAYS auto roll down...but auto up will only work when the car is cool. After work when my car has been sitting in the sun all day the auto up WON'T work until the AC has run for a good while.

When I pull the window switch to the first click nothing will happen...but when I pull it to the second click (where the auto up is supposed to be) then the window will go up until I release it.

This is the only window with the problem.

Any ideas what it cold be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
My e46 rear drivers side window will ALWAYS auto roll down...but auto up will only work when the car is cool. After work when my car has been sitting in the sun all day the auto up WON'T work until the AC has run for a good while.

When I pull the window switch to the first click nothing will happen...but when I pull it to the second click (where the auto up is supposed to be) then the window will go up until I release it.

This is the only window with the problem.

Any ideas what it cold be?
Anytime I have had friends or family tell me they have issues with their windows going up or down in hot weather, it always turned out to be a motor on its way out.......the window would go up & down in the winter, but as the weather warmed up....window started acting up again. Going up, is naturally more of a strain......so after a few tries up & down, it would stop working going up.....

In your case, I'm not sure.......if you work it up & down numerous times holding the button, does it stop working also? Did you try some silocone spray in the rubber window channels?

johnny

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 PM

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
I've tried rolling it up and down repeatedly but it always works...only after sitting in the hot sun does it stop auto-rolling up.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I really doubt it is the motor, since it works fine when the OP holds the switch. Hmmm... If you're curious enough you may try swapping the switch to a different position and see if the problem follows the switch or if it stays with the window. That is the quickest diagnosis step that comes to mind. WHIle you are at it, clean all contacts and mechanical inflection points.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 PM

(Thread Starter)
I forgot to mention this in the original post...both switches (the one by the shifter and the one on the door itself) do the same thing when it's hot. So I really don't think it's the switch...unless that wasn't an effective test...

#6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:23 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Okay, that pretty much rules out the switches. I will try to make some time to looks this up in my Bentley manual and see what else I can come up with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)