Why so many BMW's for sale online? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TRuckee is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Why so many BMW's for sale online?

Although I'm pretty happy with my current ride (a 323i) I, from time to time, check what newer, lower mileage cars are being offered on the 'net and are available locally. I'm in a small town in California, near Sacramento, and look at the Cars.com, autotrader.com and carmax.com sites. It seems that there are an inordinate amount of pretty sweet cars being offered and I wonder why this is... if this IS the case. Do people just buy these things and swap 'em when they get more that a few years old? I wonder how big a factor the lease market is too. Is it that people lease a BMW because they can't afford to buy one and the lessors (dealerships) are pumping these vehicles into the market? Any thoughts from the community are appreciated... TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Sheesch, I just checked the cars.com site and they list about 530 325s for sale in Northern (central) California... that is, about a 75 mile radius of Sac'to. A salesperson I called to ask about one sweet offering said that many of the used cars are from corporate perks that BWM company people get. Now how many people does BMW having working at a corporate level that gets them a 3 series? This has the credibility of an Iraqi newspaper! I still think that most of these are probably lease returns. What does the group think??? Tom
#3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yes. Lots of lease returns. Also, lots of premium car buyers just swap them out after the warranty expires (don't want to deal with repairs). Furthermore, a lot of the people who can afford new BMWs are looking for the latest and greatest, and go through cars often. Also, there are a lot of people in NorCal, and there are also a lot of good jobs there, so that is why. I am sure there still are more Honda Civics available than there are 3 Series.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, drz, for your thoughts... although I wonder if you're correct about the warranty/service thang. As old/young as most of these offerings are, it seems all would still be under factory coverage. I agree with you on the lease return theory and the affluence of California, in general. Yeah, you confirm some of my theorys on this.
Do you think people who lease vehicles skimp on the service for reasons other than cost?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
having work for a luxury dealership for 2 years as an assist. dept. manager.. people really do lease and buy alot of new cars as often as every 6 months. we had quite a few regular familes who came in every 6-12 months to trade in their old vehicle for a big loss (15-20k sometimes) only to buy their next car cash as well.

also, all our sales staff got free demo cars to drive in, and i know cadillac does give out alot of cars, i rememebr they gave a couple people free XLR's from our dealers inventory, and then GM just sent us replacement vehicles once we gave them to those people (chip foose was one of said peoples)

it happens..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)