Why I dislike my new 2011 BMW 328i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
JeffZX is on a distinguished road
Why I dislike my new 2011 BMW 328i

I purchased the new BMW 328i with the premium package on April 30, 2011. I subsequently found that I would often get motion sickness after driving the car. Sometimes this motion sickness would last for hours after driving, and I actually missed work a couple days because of the nausea.

I could not figure out the problem, and thought it may be the new car smell. I have now determined the feature of the BMW car that is causing my motion sickness - ENGINE BRAKING. I have never heard of this term before; from what I have read this feature is unique to BMW automatic transmissions. The problem occurs when you ease off the gas, and occurs even more prominently when you take your foot off the gas -the car slows down dramatically - this causes a jerking sensation to the body and motion sickness in those susceptible. Although I have had motion sickness as a passenger, I have never even remotely ever had motion sickness as a drive of a car before the BMW.

Now I hate to drive the car....I am very careful to VERY gently take my foot of the gas, and apply the brake to stop if possible rather than the engine. It is to the point where I detest stop and go traffic, parking garages, and any circumstance where I must have frequent moving of the gas pedal.

My colleague tells me that he has never heard of this in automatic transmissions; he said that is must be a propriety feature of the BMW. I did notice it in my test drive, probably because I was not in any stop and go traffic.

Another feature I hate about the car is that ultra high pitch sound it makes when you open any door or the trunk, or EVEN closing any door or the trunk. You will not hear the noise outside, but in the garage, to a person who has suffered from tinnitus, the sound is incredibly irritating - to the point I wear ear plugs or ear canceling headphones when taking groceries out of my car, or just in general dealing with the car in my garage. The absence of high pitch noises was a deal breaker for me in any new car I purchased, so I was quiet upset when I discovered that this sound was inherent in the car I just purchased the night I drove it home and parked it in my garage! I heard this ultra high pitch sound and looked all over for its orignaition, thinking it may be the water heater, and then checked outside my home, only to find the sound came from the new car I purchased only an hour earlier!

Then there is the harsh ride of the runflat tires, not to mention the very steep cost of replacing them. However, I just discoved that the dealer had too much PSI in the tires (42/42), so they adjusted the psi to 34/37, and the ride, although still not smooth, is tolerable. Of course, I can always change to all season radial tires, but I can not reengineer the transmission!

Other less things I don't like about the car are the short sun visors that cause the sun to strike my face when driving north in the late afternoon, and even though the auto dimming feature is convenient, I would rather have the capability of turning down the rear view mirror myself as sometimes the dimming feature will not come on when I want it to; i.e., a bright headlight but still not quite dark enough to active the dimming feature.

So I have a $40,000+ car that I hate to drive. The handling is great; it’s nice looking car; the fit and finish is great; I appreciate the features of the I drive, but due to the engine breaking making me ill, I have to seriously consider selling the car. The dealer tells me the car will adjust to my driving and to give it at least six months. I can see how the car may allow me to make a more even start (now often my starts are either too slow or, alternatively, too fast - should I start the car in second?), but I wonder whether any amount of time will cause the car to adjust the engine breaking feature? Are there any manual driving steps or driving tips that could make it bearable for me? Have you heard this problem with ANYBODY else? The BMW dealer said they have not heard of a single person with a complaint of motion sickness with their cars.

Appreciate comments!

Last edited by JeffZX; 07-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.
JeffZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 98,328i
Photos:
jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
Strange,have you considered psychological help? You seem to suffer from a bizarre range of problems.What did you drive before? Have you driven a similar car and compared the ride etc,as the effects you describe are not normal.
I do not mean to sound offensive,but you seem to be very sensitive.
jimmythepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Considered psychological help for the systems I described? How can that not be offensive? I could see a question regarding medical care for tinnitus or checking with an ENT for motion sickness, but the psychological help is offensive.

I have seen a few posts of people complaining about the engine braking and even more on the high pitch sound, so it’s not a unique complaint. And almost everybody should agree on the minor issues of the sun visor and auto dimming feature. And problems with the harsh ride of the run flat tires are numerous.

Prior cars were a Mustang; both body styles of the Mazda RX7; and a Toyota Camry. My colleague tells me that the Japanese cars do not feature engine breaking to any significant degree. I experienced no engine breaking in past cars; they all just coasted until I applied the brakes.

You want to take your comment back?

Last edited by JeffZX; 07-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
nope,i am offensive. I still think you need to drive another BM of the same type to gauge the difference(if any) and then take issue with your dealer.What you are describing is far from normal. I find it hard to believe that a normal car would have the symptoms you describe,either the cars a wrong un or you are!
Have you driven another auto car?
Does it exibit the same symptoms?
Surely you must have noticed this when test driving,you say not,but unless you test drove on a track some sort of traffic must have been encountered.
You have an interesting dilemma,let us know the outcome.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: 2010 335i M-Sport
Photos:
bighorns is on a distinguished road
Nope, auto Bimmers do motor brake, especially in sport mode, and coming from a stick-shift car I prefer it. You should have stuck to a Camry if you are that sensitive!
bighorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
If You don't like it ... Take it back !!
You should have got more info on the I-Drive before your dick got hard !

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: 2010 335i M-Sport
Photos:
bighorns is on a distinguished road
In all seriousness Jeff, if you want handling, but a 'gentler' car, perhaps you should look at the G37.
bighorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
Nope, auto Bimmers do motor brake, especially in sport mode, and coming from a stick-shift car I prefer it. You should have stuck to a Camry if you are that sensitive!
Mine dont,then it is from an era of proper BMWs
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsy View Post
If You don't like it ... Take it back !!
You should have got more info on the I-Drive before your dick got hard !
I-Drive has nothing to do with it....it is the steptronic transmission with the engine breaking. Does any automatic from any other car have engine breadking but BMW? Appreciate answer so can know what to avoid. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
In all seriousness Jeff, if you want handling, but a 'gentler' car, perhaps you should look at the G37.
Thanks for constructive info!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mpowers is on a distinguished road
I also own a 2011 328i. My only disappointment/irritant has been the run flat tires. Within my first 3,000 miles (it had 13,000 when purchased) I was out $260.00 for a new tire. Since that time I spent another $300 and got the spare kit (eating up some of my already limited trunk space) from Bavarian Autosport. I'm not so sure there's some kind of sweet deal going between BMW and the tire manufacturers, and we end up paying. I certainly feel ripped off by the tire deal. The well in the trunk is not to far from fitting a small spare - why didn't those brilliant engineers . . . . ??? Other than that, this is without a doubt the best driving and best handling car I've ever owned.
mpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
90rr is on a distinguished road
get a Prius
90rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpowers View Post
I also own a 2011 328i. My only disappointment/irritant has been the run flat tires. Within my first 3,000 miles (it had 13,000 when purchased) I was out $260.00 for a new tire. Since that time I spent another $300 and got the spare kit (eating up some of my already limited trunk space) from Bavarian Autosport. I'm not so sure there's some kind of sweet deal going between BMW and the tire manufacturers, and we end up paying. I certainly feel ripped off by the tire deal. The well in the trunk is not to far from fitting a small spare - why didn't those brilliant engineers . . . . ??? Other than that, this is without a doubt the best driving and best handling car I've ever owned.
Its about profit. Their is no spare tires becuase of the tire and wheel insurance. They offer that to consumers in case something happens to the expensive run flats. Little do people know that the insurance is pretty much 100% for them, and they try to fight you for claims.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Why do you have to refit run flat tyres? Just switch to a more traditional tyre when the run flats are worn out, they are usually cheaper and give a less harsh ride. If you don't have a spare, carry a can of the puncture repair goo, and a small 12v compressor, or join the local auto club.

Riding in style
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ea46 is on a distinguished road
this problem is rarely to see, it's better to ask bmw service to solve it
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)