BMW Werkz banner

why is the 3 series the only series that offers

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  onsinkingground 
#1 ·
awd? 5 lacks it. 6 lacks it. 7 lacks it. the suv has ,but thats besides the point. hell, not even the coupes have them for the 3 series, just the sedan.seriously, do the people who create the bmws not realize there are things like snow/ice/rain?

#2 ·
I would guess that the xi models in the 3 series don't sell enough to warrant expanding into other lines. Especially since they've introduced the x3 and x5. But as many on this board and other boards will reassure you - AWD isn't the end all and be all of driving in bad weather. BMW DSC keeps you on the road nicely in snow, rain, and ice so long as you're not driving out of your own element.

Seriously though - if you want actual demonstrations - goto the BMW performance center and take one of the courses (I think they're $399) and see how they handle on wet and greased pavement in emergency situations.

As for the coups not having it... I'd say that a lot of people argue that RWD makes a car more fun to drive. And if you're buying a coup that may be what you're focusing on. The xi option also changes the suspension and ride height.

#5 ·
AWD is over rated. There were six inches of ice on the roads and after driving around my mother's 325xi for a week in that, I took out the Z4 for a trip to the store and it was no more challenging, DSC was there every step of the way. If you're sideways on a slick of ice it isnt going to matter if you have two wheels or four wheels spinning, none of them will grip. But if the car is working with a well trained driver to avoid the accident you can be rest assured that'll make the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.