BMW Werkz banner

Who drives a 325 i or 330 i in the snow?

8K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  SkysTheLimit 
#1 ·
Pretty sure I'm going to get a 03 325 i, but I am still a little scared about how it will handle the snow. I don't want a car that will get stuck a lot, or end up in the ditch. Just wonder how you do with your i in the snow, is it really that big of a deal???

thanks

#2 ·
I live in Montreal Canada and drive my 2002 325i in the snow from Decembre to April. My first suggestion is to get 4 good snow tires.
I don't think it'a a big deal to drive it on snow.
I love the rear traction because it's easyer to control a skid in a curve.
I have'nt got it stuck in snow yet !!

Bob

#3 ·
if you need a car that handles well in the snow, get the 325xi or the 330xi.
These cars have AWD and will perform much better in the snow than the RWD versions.

Lawrence

#4 ·
Originally posted by RetroSpek@Jan 6 2004, 06:42 AM
if you need a car that handles well in the snow, get the 325xi or the 330xi.
These cars have AWD and will perform much better in the snow than the RWD versions.

Lawrence
BUT... At the sacrifice of Performance. We get occasional snow here in Kansas and I think ill be just fine with the 330i's Dynamic Stability Control system. I think the best full time traction control coupled with the 330is driving characteristics provide the best all around driver for me. BMWs all wheel drive system is very good though.

#5 ·
spikes

I just got back from a weekend ski trip to vermont in my 330i. It snowed almost the whole time we were there, and the ground was already pretty icy. I didn't have any problems, as long as I didn't accelerate too fast. I had the same questions as you did a few weeks ago when I bought my car - should I get the 330i or the 330xi. My reasoning for picking the 330i was the following.....where I live (New York's Hudson Valley), we don't get a ridiculous amount of snow and the local government does a good job clearing the roads pretty quickly. In the rare occasions when we get more than a foot of snow, I have to be dilligent in clearing my driveway or else I'll have trouble getting out. Trust me - a few hours of shoveling more than make up for the way the 330i performs on dry asphalt. And definitely get a good set of snow tires. Hope this helps.

the bandit

#8 ·
well its kinda like the whole RWD vs AWD thing.

BMW RWD is good enough in the snowand rain because of all of the DSC. In heavy snow, you would still need chains.

AWD (xi) is excellent in the snow and rain and can driven in heavy snow conditions without chains.

All seasons are good enough for a light snow and raining conditions. But snow tires are GREAT in snow and heavy conditions.

Spike - if you live in an area that snows and rains alot, get the xi. You wont regret it at all. If you live in a place like nyc where, the roads are cleared and you only get light contact with snow, a 325ci with all seasons would suffice.

I have AWD in my Audi and i drive in heavy rain like it was dry asphalt.

- Lawrence

#9 ·
I've been living in the south for 8 years, so I don't have to worry about it... I spent 10 years up north in the snow, however, BUT it was in a FWD car...

What I am wondering is how do you drive RWD [/I]differently in Snow? Some folks are talking about driving in rain like snow, but I have never treated the two the same...

#10 ·
Havent had to drive my 328 in the snow yet but my old 318ti did great in the snow with a sand bag in the trunk and Michelin Arctic Alpins. Depends on what tires are on the car now on how they do in the snow, I just know the MXV4's that come with the car are terrible in snow. I dont mind the RWD, its a lot of fun comming around a corner in a 4 wheel drift when its icy out.

#12 ·
I've been driving mine in the snow this year, no snow tires and have not had any issues. I tried to make it skid on some light snow and it basically corrects it self in seconds.

Of course turning the DSC off is a completely different story.

I used to drive a mustang, and had my hesitations with another RWD, but I am very happy with it performance.

I also believe that the 50/50 balance has a a lot to do with the handling on snow as well, especially as you neter and exit a skid.

#14 ·
Something else to keep in mind is that AWD makes a difference only when accelerating. It makes NO difference when braking. Today's traction controls basically neutralize AWD in turns, unless you are trying to accel in the turn - in which case you are asking to spin out...

Winter tires will make the biggest difference in winter driving, not AWD.

#15 ·
If you have AWD and accelerate on a turn, you wouldnt spin out. That is what AWD is for, control. And an AWD with all season tires would out perform a RWD or FWD car with winter tires hands down in rain or snow.

#16 ·
I wasn't suggesting an AWD would spin out in a turn, I was talking about RWD... Sorry if there was confusion.

Regarding performance, I think it depends on how you define performance. The factor I care most about in winter driving is braking, in which case AWD gets you jack sh*t. If you are trying to take curves like they are dry pavement, then you are probably right...

#17 ·
I'm new to this forum, but I do have a 330i and also live in the NW. It just snowed a whole lot this year and well this car was not meant for the snow. I don't know where some of you drive your cars that you say it's not that bad. I fish tail all the time. I barealy accelerate at a red light and as soon as I start to turn, there goes my rear end. Not much fun after the 2nd or 3rd time. Yeah, now I wish I would've gone for the TSX or TL. Or just the 330xi.

#19 ·
Hello everyone, I've been visiting this forum for awhile and finally joined up.
Funny thing about the 3 series and snow. My friend has an '02 325i with Michelin all seasons and gets around in the snow pretty well. I have an '04 330i and b4 I put on Dunlop WS 2's I was sliding all over the place. Since I put on the Dunlops though the car drives really well, and you know we've already had some hairy snowfalls here in NY.
So you can risk trying your car/tire combo and see how it works, but for peace of mind and safety don't hesitate to get 4 good snows. I don't think the xi is necessary unless you get alot of snow and live in a real hilly area. My .02 :beer

#21 ·
I have a 2003 325xi...it is great. You really do not lose a lot on performance, because it launches from a start soo much faster. Those wheels really grip. It takes corners like no other, you can feel those front tires just pullin you into the turn. I had a 320i 1994 , very nice machine, but this new one kills it in handling. Also, in the snow, I blow away everyone, even my bro-in-law who has a subari wrx..also 4 wheel..but no dsc...man this 325xi just grips like crazy...
That's my experience..:)
Tegrat

#22 ·
So what are the supposed compromises on performance with the xi??? hear people say it, but I don't see a short explaination.

#23 ·
Originally posted by RetroSpek@Jan 6 2004, 08:17 PM
I have AWD in my Audi and i drive in heavy rain like it was dry asphalt.

- Lawrence
Adhesion in the rain is all about tires. It has little or nothing to do with the drivetrain.

AWD WILL spin out in slick conditions.

#24 ·
the xi loads the front suspension, thereby the steering feel is different (much worse imho). the car tends toward understeer in all conditions, despite 30/60 central diff distribution.

i cannot steer the xi on the throttle. i cannot get it to weight transfer and set it up for turns. i do not sense any feedback from the steering. in low radius turns, i do not know what the xi is doing at all, i am busy fighting the steering wheel.

these are impressions after driving a dealer loaner 330xi, compared to 330iPP which i own.

i am an average driver, although in my youth i raced in small european amateur series.

peter

#26 ·
I have an 2002 325ci and live in western mass. 10 minutes from the vermont border. Average snow is around 80 inches per year. I put 4 good snow tires on and the traction control does the rest. My only problem is the ground clearance, but if you are careful it's not that big a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.