BMW Werkz banner

Wheel Vibration

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jesse91911 
#1 ·
I think I have the answer to my question but I need someone else to agree. I have a 2000 328I, and my problem is the front passenger wheel starts to wobble while stopping and it becomes more noticeable if I let go of the brake right before the stop. The car doesn’t wobble much at freeway speed. I don’t think it's a warped rotor or shock because I recently replaced them about 6 months ago. I looked under neath the car and inspected all off the suspension components and noticed that the passenger control arm bushing is cracked. So in a nutshell, could this be the answer to why I'm feeling that wobble?

Thanks, Jesse :driving

#2 ·
Yea the control arm could be the suspect, but it could be any number of other problems. Your wheel could be out of balance or your wheel could be bent. Even though you replaced your rotors 6 months ago, they could be warped if you brake hard often. I just finished replacing both control arms on my E30 and it was pretty easy. I dont know how difficult it is on a e46, but it can be done.

#3 ·
BMW's have a notorious problem for the control arm. Anytime someone says my wheel shakes, especially while braking, I immediately think control arm and would suggest that. The surprising thing is I have never heard about this problem in such a new car. Do you have a whole lot of mileage on the car?

I'd say control arm.

Perfect Line

#4 ·
Update to my problem. Problem fixed, I replaced both of the control arm bushings and now....NO MORE WOBBLE. In fact when I went to take off the driver side bushing, that too was cracked a little. Thanks for the input. Hopefully this might help someone else in the future...

Jesse :guns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.