BMW Werkz banner

Wheel Vibration

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  EXtech 
#1 ·
Hey guys. When I'm driving upwards of 50mph and take a substantial turn to the left, I get this vibration that seems to come from my rear right wheel. It sounds like I'm driving over a washboard/slipping, and I can feel the response in the steering wheel. I've checked my tire pressure (it was low at the time) but filling it back up didn't solve the problem. The tires are Falkens (put them on last August) and have good tread. I'm wondering if it might be something with the DSC maybe? Perhaps there's a faulty sensor or something and is causing the wheel to sieze? Let me know what you all think.

-Jordan

#3 ·
This is just a guess:
Do you hear tires sqeeling in the turn? If not, it is probably not DSC.
Check wheel balance; Check for "patchy" wear on the tire.
Check breaks: I believe E46 uses rubber bushings for caliper guides...
Check e-break shoes.
I guess primary suspect should be wheel bearing... There are some techs here can confirm this.

#5 ·
You could check the wheel bearing, 3 series seam to have lots of problems with the right rear wheel bearings. If you are feeling vibrations from the right rear then that IS a possibility. I would check just to make sure. Better safe than sorry. if not go get the thing aligned and balanced.

#6 ·
I think you have the right idea... I would look first towards the DSC based on your description. Although it is also a possibility that you may have a wheel bearring issue. But, it sounds to me from what you are saying, and your description of the symptoms, is that it feels similar to when you lose traction with DSC on. This sometimes happens and is usually one of two things... either a wheel speed sensor or a faulty dsc unit. I have seen one rare occasion that a bad differential caused similar symptoms. Take it in and have the dealer do their thing. Get it fixed before it becomes a major problem.

There is always a chance that some of the other suggestions mentioned could be a culprit, like tires rubbing. Perform a careful inspection underneath and look for the obvious signs of rubbing or interference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.