Wheel Bearing Damaged - Any Advice? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jisang1 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey all,

After carefully reviewing all the posts on this forum I couldn't find an answer. I hope somenoe out there may be able to help out with the below issue:

I went to the dealer for an Inspection 1 today, but came back with just an oilchange. It must have been the first time in history that a dealer SUGGESTED just an oil change instead of an Inspection 1, thus saving me some $$!!!

For the last week I have been noticing a hummin noise when my car is above 30 mph. The noise gets louder the faster I go, but when I'm crusing at 65-ish, it gets a little softer (although it is still there). A lot of research led me to conclude that this is the front left wheel bearing. I spoke with a mechanic at the dealership, who confirmed that this item was damaged. Howver, they were closing for the day, and I had to leave as well, so I couldn't get it fixed today.

Has anyone else had a problem with / replaced there front wheel bearings? If yes, what was the process and the cost? Any ideas on what the dangers of putting off this repair for some time are?

Appreciate any respone....Thanks....jisang1.

Edit: I kept looking after posting this, and found some info at another forum. If anyone can ADD to what was said in the following link, I would really appreciate it

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...t=wheel+bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
$ 110 for a complete kit/1 set. To answer your questions:
1. Do it the sooner the better, it will cause other Components to deteriorate with it.
2. You may change the bearing on the other side while at it...not a must...
3. To do it yourself? it all depends on your mechanical skills. If none; an independent mechanic will do; a bit cheaper than a dealer.
4. If you don't know what you doing there is a safety warning here. While you working on springs under tension and/or after the replacement of your bearing...this is not exactly like adding a washer fluid. Again it all depends on your mechanical knowledge. Good Luck

Regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 05:13 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Feb 26 2005, 10:38 PM
1. Do it the sooner the better, it will cause other Components to deteriorate with it.
3. To do it yourself? it all depends on your mechanical skills. If none; an independent mechanic will do; a bit cheaper than a dealer.
4. If you don't know what you doing there is a safety warning here. While you working on springs under tension and/or after the replacement of your bearing...this is not exactly like adding a washer fluid. Again it all depends on your mechanical knowledge. Good Luck

Regards
billb
[snapback]300063[/snapback]
Hey billb,

Thanks a lot for your response. Is it $110 for the SET (right and left) or for each side? I'm not sure about replacing both or not, but am currently considering it. All depends on the part price + labor all said and done......

Thanks,
jisang1.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
no reason to change both if not necessary.

do it soon. bearing failure can have catastrophic consequences, cos it losk the wheel and spins your ass around, when you least need it...

this is too early for a bearing failure. are you using wider tires/wheels? has the car been left al.one for a long time, sitting?

Quote:
Originally posted by jisang1+Feb 27 2005, 05:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jisang1 @ Feb 27 2005, 05:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-billB@Feb 26 2005, 10:38 PM

Regards
billb
[snapback]300063[/snapback]
Hey billb,

Thanks a lot for your response. Is it $110 for the SET (right and left) or for each side? I'm not sure about replacing both or not, but am currently considering it. All depends on the part price + labor all said and done......

Thanks,
jisang1.
[snapback]300242[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
#5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
[quote=peterkulesza,Feb 27 2005, 01:13 PM]
no reason to change both if not necessary.

do it soon. bearing failure can have catastrophic consequences, cos it losk the wheel and spins your ass around, when you least need it...

this is too early for a bearing failure. are you using wider tires/wheels? has the car been left al.one for a long time, sitting?

Hey peter,

Car had 81,000 miles before I bought it.....it now has 86,000....I put 5,000 miles on it in 2 months!!! Been driving a lot between AUstin and Houston on work..... Noticed the sound coming from my car probably 1 week (and 1000 miles ago)....

The problem is that I'm going to be leaving for Athens, TX (a 11,000 person town) tonight, and will be there on work for the next whole week......So I don't think there will be a Bimmer dealership close by to do any work....

I was using stock 195 tires on 15" rims.....just changed to 205's yesterday since my tires had NO tread left.....Having the wider tires has made the noise louder....

I would get the work done at an independent mechanic, but I can't find the FRONT Wheel Bearings in stock ANYWHERE, unless I go to the Bimmer dealership!!

Let me know what you think,
Jiten.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
well, the tire shoudl not make the nosie louder. i question the original diagnosis, but i can be COMPLETELY wrong.

check for trivial things, lik esome plastic rubbing somewhere. you can drive for a month with a bad bearing, no prob if it is early in the failure.

the problem begins if you really neglect it, because the balls can come out of the races, and lock the wheel solid

the tires you talk about are NOT the cause. this arises when juveniles put 4 sizes up on stock which ruins the offset and wears out bearings wihtin 20k.

the only other issue is h20, cos it can get into the braring if the car sits in a puddle up to hubs. i guess you have no way of knwoing this.

normally, factory packed and sealed bearings last many 100s, and very rarely fail unless abused.

sorry for tupos but i am really tired.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by peterkulesza@Feb 27 2005, 06:14 PM
well, the tire shoudl not make the nosie louder. i question the original diagnosis, but i can be COMPLETELY wrong.

check for trivial things, lik esome plastic rubbing somewhere. you can drive for a month with a bad bearing, no prob if it is early in the failure.

the problem begins if you really neglect it, because the balls can come out of the races, and lock the wheel solid

the tires you talk about are NOT the cause. this arises when juveniles put 4 sizes up on stock which ruins the offset and wears out bearings wihtin 20k.

the only other issue is h20, cos it can get into the braring if the car sits in a puddle up to hubs. i guess you have no way of knwoing this.

normally, factory packed and sealed bearings last many 100s, and very rarely fail unless abused.

sorry for tupos but i am really tired.
[snapback]300514[/snapback]
Hey peter,

Thanks for your help. I spoke with a mechanic and read up a LOT about this. I know 100% that it IS the left bearing, because when driving in a straight line, if I cut left, the load goes off the left bearing and onto the right bearing, and the noise is GONE. This is concurrent with what the BMW mechanic said while I was getting my oil changed at the dealership yesterday, and also what another Austin mechanic said over the phone today.

Currently, I'm going to leave the car parked, and use my rommates car for the week. Will order the parts from the dealership (looks like I don't have any other choice), and will either DIY or get an independent mechanic to do the work next weekend.

Thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)