What Type Of Atf Fluid To Use??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:17 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bravehart38 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Recently read in Bimmer Magazine that Automatic Transmission Fluid and gear oil should be changed every 30,000 miles, if want your car to last for a while. Was planning on using Redline D4 ATF in the tranny and Redline Gear Oil for the diff. This is for a 01' 330 CI auto. What do you guys/gals think???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
it probably does not have to be changed, but if you want the car to last beyond 120k with no problems it is a good practice.

redline is an outstanding company imho. however:
1. make sure that their atf is recommended by redline for your car. i would take thier word for it.
2. make ABSOLUTEY sure whether the diff takes a gl-4 or gl-5 spec. this is available from master techs at bmw. then buy redline oil accordingly, and match viscosity rating according to redline advice.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:50 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
What happens to the Life-time transmission fluid at 30K miles?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi ! Thw ATF for all E-46 1999 and up is proprietary BMW product only available from dealership. It is made by Castrol Europe and it is marketed as TRANSMAX Z, it last at least 60 000 miles or if you like 90 000 + kilometers. What I know every independent BMW technician recommends Red Line oils,butnot for automatics with'lifetime fill" (60 000 miles). Shortly do not put anything else or you are about screwing your tranny !
#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

two schools of thought.

"life time atf or manual tranny fill from bmw is soo good that it needs no replacing". probably almost true. in both you get metal shavings after a time (30km? 60 km??), and heat destroys any oil after a while, so does oxidation. so it aint really lifetime.
so

1. replace regularly, every 30kmiles or so. probably wise, and again, the oil has to be correct for the tranny (that fosamax castrol or whatver the current fill etc). redline or other manufacturer will likely do fine if matched appropriately, but if you are not 100% sure do NOT do it, and just buy whatever bmw puts in there, like the prrior post recommends.
2. don't replace. in an automatic tranny: if you have not changed for 60km, don't start. all kinds of crap (shavings, debris, etc) will be dislodged, and go into clutch packs and destroy your transmission. regardelss of your oil choice.
3. manual can be refilled after a period of neglect, cos it drains much better, has no filter etc. but: if you use the wrong oil, you can destroy it too.

i destroyed first gear (some kind of different brass) synchro this way. took about 10 kilomiles for it to fail.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear Member

zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Once again you can not put any dextron type fluid to your Bimmer . Red line, Amsoil, Royal purple ,Mobil , Castrol they are dextron ATF`s. BMW `s Transmax Z has completly different chemistry and is not mixable with any dextron-mercon staff, if you remove it from your transmission you still have more than 1 liter in torque convertor, so what are you gonna do about it ?!!! OK guys you have money to spend ,go ahead drain it ,put Red Line and be ready for let say 5000 us $.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

i compelety agree: likely $15000!!
#8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 AM
n00b

MMSTech is on a distinguished road
Lifetime fluid? Well a lifetime to BMW is considered 100,000 miles. In your particular BMW 01 330 I would recommend Castrol factory fill and factory transmission filter even though Redine D4 ATF has never caused any of my customers' cars fluid related problems. Change the fluid only if the car has under 80,000 miles on it with no trouble code found when scanned with BMW specific software. I would probably change it again (Fluid/Filter) every 30,00 thereafter. Other BMW's I would recommend other fluids. It all depends on your more/year. If this was my car I would probably use Redine D4 ATF because I believe its better!!! But not in customers' cars, I only stick with exactly what the factory puts in!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
next time look at the date this thread is from 2005 but for anyone who read this In my opinion in Bmw Automatic transmissions I recommend using Factory ATF(you don't have to buy it at the dealer) also only go with an OEM filter and gasket.... many have had issues with fram filters causing a wurrling sound caused by the filter collapsing and starving the transmission of fluid....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM
n00b

jerose is on a distinguished road
Reply to tranny oil chnge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post
Recently read in Bimmer Magazine that Automatic Transmission Fluid and gear oil should be changed every 30,000 miles, if want your car to last for a while. Was planning on using Redline D4 ATF in the tranny and Redline Gear Oil for the diff. This is for a 01' 330 CI auto. What do you guys/gals think???
The label on the tranny pan says not to change the oil ever. unless repairs are made. The only oil you can use is a bmw product. BMW mag is wrong.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 PM
n00b

coolbema is on a distinguished road
I recently bought 330i e90 2006 on clock 142000kms (plz keeping in mind kms are more than miles) which is equal to approx 90000 miles. Im willing to do ATF change but not sure if i do it or leave it as it states "Lifetime oil" by BMW dealer in U.A.E Dubai. If i try to do it independent workshop then im not sure what ATF oil i have to used. Here BMW dealers are not selling oem oil bottles. Please anybody suggest me what atf should be used.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 03:10 AM
n00b

sprintman is on a distinguished road
Redline D4ATF.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:31 AM
n00b

Right guys..After trying hard here i was unable to get Redline (not available here only for U.S consumers)..i went to local shop bought filter with pan gasket and Atf Fluid. Later i went to local authorised "Bosch" shop and took out the whole work there. After completing the job we started the car went through all gears and again checked the fluid level. Everything was fine uptill now but today i noticed on my shop bill that shop man gave the wrong Atf fluid instead of "Shell m-1375.4" he filled bottles with "Esso Lt 71141" which suppose to be for older 5 speed transmission. Now im in chaos what will happen to my transmission? I called the shop man for his stupid mistake but he said we are selling this ATF "ESSO Lt 71141" for new models also it will be fine with your car!!
Please help me out what i have to do now either drain all fluid again and fill with right one or let be run.. :-(
#14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 AM
n00b

sprintman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbema View Post
Right guys..After trying hard here i was unable to get Redline (not available here only for U.S consumers)..i went to local shop bought filter with pan gasket and Atf Fluid. Later i went to local authorised "Bosch" shop and took out the whole work there. After completing the job we started the car went through all gears and again checked the fluid level. Everything was fine uptill now but today i noticed on my shop bill that shop man gave the wrong Atf fluid instead of "Shell m-1375.4" he filled bottles with "Esso Lt 71141" which suppose to be for older 5 speed transmission. Now im in chaos what will happen to my transmission? I called the shop man for his stupid mistake but he said we are selling this ATF "ESSO Lt 71141" for new models also it will be fine with your car!!
Please help me out what i have to do now either drain all fluid again and fill with right one or let be run.. :-(
Redline is available worldwide. Ever heard of mail order as well?
#15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 AM
n00b

Yes i heard but take long to get here..But for now is Esso Lt71141 is ok in E90 2006 330i ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)