what to look for - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
swollio is on a distinguished road
what to look for

about the buy a 2000 323CI w/ 146k milage... very high i know, but all maintenance has been done for it regularly and only one owner. what should i look forward in the near future??? are bmw engines reliable like lexus? please help, thanks
swollio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
ima tell yuo straight up... you cant compare reliablilty of bmw and lexus... bmws will run to 300k easily if proper matenience is done... and 146k is nothing in the life of a bimmer... its just gotten broken in baby! haha i say get a carfax for free from one of the members on the forum and if it clears then gopher it man... warning though... yuo wont want to turn back...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: yes
Photos:
zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by swollio
about the buy a 2000 323CI w/ 146k milage... very high i know, but all maintenance has been done for it regularly and only one owner. what should i look forward in the near future??? are bmw engines reliable like lexus? please help, thanks
If this car has a standard gearbox you can take a chance, but if is equiped with an auto transmission-forget about it(literally!) or be prepare to spend in near future about $ 5000.00 for new (rebuilt ) unit.ZF transmissions on these models were faulty from begining and BMW has never come clean with (loosers) owners of the mentioned model.These transmissions breake suddenly with no warning(no reverse) and only solution is whole new "enchilada".
If you like to read horror story, you can find it regarding this matter on internet-lots of !!!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
swollio is on a distinguished road
unfortunately it is an auto.... and i believe the owner have not replace the tranny yet........ at 146k..... that was my main concern..... man.... but such good price for such a nice car.......

any more inputs would be helpful
swollio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
First off, common items that I've had to replace on my 2000 328i prior to 100K:

-standard maintenance such as spark plugs, air filters, fluids, brake pads and sensors, bulbs, etc. ($150/yr on average)
-camshaft sensors (intake and exhaust, $100 each)
-brake rotors ($50 per wheel)
-rubber air intake duct ($50)
-final stage unit (a/c component) ($70)

All told, I budget at least $400 a year in maintenance on my car (add $400 if you don't diy). That tends to cover the cost of 4 new tires one year, followed by fluids another year, followed by brake system replacement the next, repeat...

And I disagree with Zibby. There have been reports of the AT malfunctioning on these types of trannies, but it is not a guarantee. People commonly complained about slowly losing power in their Reverse gear before the tranny finally lost the gear. Statistically, of the several (if not tens of) thousand of 3-series produced from 1999-2001, very few have reported this problem. Take good care of the transmission, don't butcher it with your driving style, and it should be just fine.

I'd also recommend taking the car to a dealership/mechanic for the following tasks (or diy):

-compression test the cylinders
-check for error codes (AFTER the test drive)
-check subframe for damage at mounting points
-check color of all fluids, compare to new
-check under seats for trash/growth (water damage could result in fungal growths, stiff carpets)

You didn't say what the person was asking for it, but if they haven't replaced the camshaft sensors, maintained all of the fluids, or replaced the brake components in awhile, you might ask them to drop the price accordingly or just pass on it.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention, it is possible to have a dealership/transmission shop test the tranny for leaks, pressures, etc. If something is out of spec, they might be able to warn you.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: yes
Photos:
zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Well. I do not doubt BMW`s engines to go beyond 300 K,but at 147 K (assuming that previous owner did not replaced) suspenssion parts are gone(struts. shocks.links, control arms all bushing etc.), also transmission is near to its end, so I am not sure it is wise to take a risk ,only because engines on these cars are good.Engine is not everything,,, and spending several thousand bucks short after buying new (used) car would not be much fun definitelly.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)