What is this light on my Dashboard? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 03:15 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ranz_Killa is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation What is this light on my Dashboard?

Hey,

As i was driving, this light came on my car. (See Image Attachment). It is the yellow light above the red air bag light, which i am worried about.

I have a 318iSE v, 1999. (E46).

Was also hoping, if someone could send me the link / image or document, which shows what all icons on the dashboard represent?

Thanks in advance,.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I don't see a picture. Please do come back with a picture, since I don't know the E46 instrument panel by heart.

Good luck.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:03 PM
n00b

Ranz_Killa is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
its the yellow icon on top of the red air bag light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dashboard.jpg
Views:	44819
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	25049  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
That is your brake pad wear warning light. If the light came on, that means your brake pads (either front or rear) are pretty much worn out. I would service the brakes immediately in your position.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 AM
n00b

Meezy is on a distinguished road
Hey, speaking of dashboard lights, this light came on one day, briefly. what does that mean???
#6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Meezy, the second warning light you just asked about is usually inside of a circle with arrows, right? If so, that is your DSC system.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 AM
n00b

Meezy is on a distinguished road
what's the DSC system?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
drz
Administrator

Dynamic stability control. It will come on intermittently when your traction/stability control system engages while driving. If you disable DSC (by pressing teh DSC button in your center console), the light will stay lit continously.

#9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:52 PM
n00b

kroberts328I is on a distinguished road
Sir: I saw your reply to another BMW person regarding the dash light for brake pad replacement. When pads are changed, I assumed that the light would go off, but it didn't. How do I get the light off? Please let me know if you have the information.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Neutral Member

titaniumbullet is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to titaniumbullet Send a message via Yahoo to titaniumbullet
Ok I was just wondering the circle isnt the DSC the triagle is isnt it... I was reading some of the posts and I was a lil confused. Cause the triangle that is the middle of the is the dynamic stability controle and the other one (the circle) is for the break pads.

If your ever in doubt just check your owners manual.

My favorite BMW rims
#11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
n00b

kroberts328I is on a distinguished road
Dash Light for Brake Pad Replacement

It is definitely the brake pad light per the manual. Anyone know how to turn this off or reset it? I like the feature, but don't want to look at the light for the next 25,000 miles. Thanks for your help!
#12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 PM
n00b

liljavier is on a distinguished road
the light cannot be reseted, u have to change the sensor theres one on each axle
#13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroberts328I View Post
Sir: I saw your reply to another BMW person regarding the dash light for brake pad replacement. When pads are changed, I assumed that the light would go off, but it didn't. How do I get the light off? Please let me know if you have the information.
If you allow your pads to wear enough so that the light comes on, you will need to replace the wear pad sensor when you replace the brakes. That is the only way to reset the light.

#14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
If you allow your pads to wear enough so that the light comes on, you will need to replace the wear pad sensor when you replace the brakes. That is the only way to reset the light.
correct sir

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)