What Kind Of Hids Are These? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
miztuhdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to miztuhdan
how come my car didnt come with these?

on the e46 bmw 3 series.. there are 4 settings for your headlights...
1) auto
2) off
3) parking lights
4) on

my friend has the exact same bmw.. but his are
1) auto
2) off
3) parking lights and some sort of other light that comes on from the high beam area
4) on

it looks like this

can anyone tell me what this is? and how to get it on my car

Track Day-- Spartanburg, SC

United BMW Parts Department
miztuhdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Daytime run lights? Your car should've came with them but the blue is a aftermarket bulb.

Also, Ihope you are not reffering to the angel eyes halo rings around the high and low beams. Those were never on the 3 series but are very popular aftermarket additions.

Please clarify more as to what you are reffering to as I do no own a e46.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
yes i was talking about the 'daytime run' lights. uh yeah my car definately did not come with those. is there a way to get them? IE. get a certain bulb? or do i need to get a new fixture blah blah.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Davecpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Daytime Running Lights are programed by the dealer, at least on a 330 CIC. There are lots of options that can be programed but BMW does a lousy job of telling you about them. I asked the dealer to sen me a worksheet of options and all he had was a few of the simpler ones.
Davecpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Chances are that your car already ahs them built in but it needs to be activated. It's something BMW does to make adding options quicker and mroe easily as upgrades. Take it to your dealer and ask them how much to activate it. Also if you know a local BMW shop or have a local shop that is experienced they can probably do it for you.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
yeah thx.. i called them before either of u two replied lol. i mean i couldnt understand how everyone else has theirs on and i didnt so lol. anyways..

1 more question..

do u know where to get bmw xenon bulbs to replay the halogens? i definately do not want to get a new fixture.. that'll run me $700+ as opposed to the what.. cheaper bulbs.. i need just the regular xenons and the highbeam xenon bulb replacements

Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie361 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hootie361
In some states, HIDs in halogen fixtures are illegal per DOT regulations. The reflective properties of HID and Halogen fixtures are different because the bulbs project differently. If you install HID bulbs in a Halogen fixture, you're going to be "that guy" who's always driving with his high-beams in oncoming traffic eyes.

If you want HIDs, spend the money on the fixtures and the bulbs (keeping in mind that sometimes HIDs restrict upgrades in the future). If you just want brighter/whiter bulbs, look at options from Sylvania (Silverstar) or PIAA (Xtreme White).
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)