BMW Werkz banner

what is the difference

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Jack Dabsy 
#1 ·
between the 256s4 and the 256s5 engine.. was the 256s5 built for the facelift 3 series from 2002. and would this work in a 1999 3 series e46. as mine is the 256s4..

#2 ·
From what I can tell their is no difference. The displacement is the exact same. From what I can tell the S5 one is newer. Would it work? Yes.

#4 ·
was wanting to know. as when i enquired about a possible engine replacement at a local breakers yard they told me that it had to be the same as what was in. but never told me about the difference between the s4 and s5. said if it was fitted with a s4 then you have to put a s4 in... thanks for all your help. regards alan

#10 ·
I think this depends on the year of the E46 your gonna transplant in. The E39 used a different engine then te E46 dependent on model year. The ECU itself in terms of the unit should be the same. It's the software you would have to worry about. As Dabsy said a "re flashing" might be nessecary.

#12 ·
What's the reason you need to swap engines?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.