Waste of time please read!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:37 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christian.park07 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Waste of time please read!!!

I'm just wondering guys, I can purchase a semi used motor at a local place where i live. 2002 325 e46 motor (Standard) Currently my car is a 2001 330ci auto, would it be worth swapping motors? Why ??? first i have quite a few miles on my car itself, Because its from the mainland. Now i live in hawaii. Swapping from auto to standard would it be hard? I know it will cost alot of money but i want to do this project. *NOTE* motor will only cost me $2gs (legit junkyard) Give me yur ups and downs on what you think about this. Also has anyone on this forum done this before???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
semi-used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Shouldn't be THAT difficult, however, living on Hawaii certainly limits your options. Probably better to find something from the mainland. As far as the auto/manual swap. I'm sure it's been done. Bimmerforums might have more experience.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:25 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
How many miles do you have on the original engine? My engine has over 215,000 miles on it and is still going strong.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
why are you downgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
I think he (or is it she?) is trying to go to a newer engine. I just want to make sure that it is necessary.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
n00b

dens_310 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
How many miles do you have on the original engine? My engine has over 215,000 miles on it and is still going strong.

what year is your car..?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I have no idea why i put semi used! lol opps

Pretty new with bmws. what is the difference between the 330 and 325? i thought it was just interior wise...No?

year is a 2001 330ci
#9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
The last two numbers generally have something to do with engine size, and therefore power. 325 is (usually) a 2.5L inline 6 cylinder, while a 330 is a 3L inline 6 cylinder.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for clearing that up! =) hmm then i shouldnt buy it... because i dont want to downgrade.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 08:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
another questions... im throwing a check engine light.... and it is the cam shaft sensor! how hard would it be to replace that sensor?

Will that sensor make my car turn off. Sometimes i have a hard time starting it and also... when i hit the accelerator the car bogs.. and dies out. would me fixing that fix that problem?
#12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 08:03 PM
drz
Administrator

I drive a 1996 328i (2.8 liter, 190 hp, 208 ft-lb).

The 330 has 3.0 liter 225 hp engine, while the 325 has a 2.5 liter 174 hp (I think) powerplant. There are other differences, but for the matter of an engine swap, I imagine this is all that concerns you.

I just noticed the question about the camshaft position snesor. Lots of folks replace these sensors and say it is not very hard. The problems that you mention could be linked to the sensor. Try taking care of this soon.

How many miles on your car?

#13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i have a 124k on the motor. Do you think you can tell me step by step what to do? or if anyone?
#14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 08:54 PM
drz
Administrator

#15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:06 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian.park07
i have a 124k on the motor. Do you think you can tell me step by step what to do? or if anyone?
my 330 has 132 thousand on it.

Only issues are non engine related. and it has had 75k mountain pass miles put on it.

Although it burns oil once in a blue moon. Think its actually the valve cover gasket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)