Warning Light Confusion??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: E46 330Ci M sport
Photos:
Beaver is on a distinguished road
Warning Light Confusion???

Hey,

I am new to this site so forgive with me if you have already answered this problem...
When I started my 330 Ci M Sport 2002 this evening after work a warning light came on. It was a yellow light with an engine illustration...i drove it home and it seemed to run fine. Can you tell me what the problems would be when that warning light goes on?

Thanks, Shane
Attached Thumbnails
Warning Light Confusion???-beaver2.jpg  
Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Thats the CEL (check engine light) could be a number of things from your MAF to an o2 sensor, easiest way is to get a diagnostics done or you will start buying and fitting parts you don't need.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Car: E39 Alpine White 528i, E34-Sold.
Photos:
Kai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
Thats the CEL (check engine light) could be a number of things from your MAF to an o2 sensor, easiest way is to get a diagnostics done or you will start buying and fitting parts you don't need.
+1. With no other info than the CEL coming on you are pretty much left with those two options, and of the two diagnostics is obviously the best. Good luck, let us know what you find out.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Here is a third vote for the suggestion above: have the codes read to help determine the cause of the CEL.

Did the light go away? Or is it there still?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Thanks for your replies.

The light was still on this morning when I went to work, so I took it in to the mechanics to do diagnostics on it.

Result:

Code 228 O2 sensor (as you predicted)
Fuel trim bank 2 permissable range exceeded.

Recommendation:

The BMW mechanics said i have to replace all 4 sensors as they have no way of telling which of the 4 sensors are faulty.

Cost: $600 per sensor (ex Germany) + labour of approx $500

Wowwww, thats not cheap!!! the car warranty company will not be happy with me...oooops...im glad I got the warranty.

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Wow, someone is gonna benefit from an extended 3rd party warranty. Cool.

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Thats a load of bull a diagnaostics will come up with something like this " Bank 1 o2 sensor pre cat reached limits" or may say post cat which ever one it is, they are trying to rip you off thats for sure.

You would also get a different code number for the other bank, for all four sensors to go at once is billions to 1 ..

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!

Last edited by marti5; 02-19-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
Thats a load of bull a diagnaostics will come up with something like this " Bank 1 o2 sensor pre cat reached limits" or may say post cat which ever one it is, they are trying to rip you off thats for sure.

You would also get a different code number for the other bank, for all four sensors to go at once is billions to 1 ..
I concur.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
they gave me the print out off the machine to show me. Too be honest, i have no idea what any of it means.

They said that it was probably just one failure, but the machine wont detect which of the 4 sensors it is, so they said that rather than spending hours and hours replacing one, then it not being the faulty one and so on and so on...they replace all 4.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Well Im not sure what diagnostic machine there using, but BMW GT1 machine would tell them which one, put a call out on here for anybody who has Carsoft diagnostics as this will tell you which one....

How they can say hours and hours to replace one of these???? you can even do it from above...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=50&hl=8

Last edited by marti5; 02-21-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
may i suggest you post what is written on the report or scan it, and someone here can decipher which of the sensors might be defective... if the print-out at all mentions that.

Alternatively, get a 2nd opinion from another shop ;-) their scanner might tell you which of the 4 sensors is/are defective.

then also, although this is not set in stone; BMW suggests you replace 02 sensors every 100,000miles(160,000kms)
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

N.B. **

Strange for me(personally) because BMW Code 228 reads as: "System Bank2 too rich or too lean." If I was to trust that the code is accurate, that tells me the 02 sensors are indeed functioning, because it is able to read and register rich and lean.

IMHO, the dealers are taking the chance of replacing ALL 4 sensors in the hope of bringing the fuel trim within specs. And that to me is a 50/50 chance.

Either way, if your mech was "customer-friendly" readings being that only BANK 2 is the prob, they should have suggested replacing parts having to do with Bank 2(cylinders 4-6) only... 2 02 sensors, not all 4.

Last edited by darkhorse737; 02-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse737 View Post
N.B. **

Either way, if your mech was "customer-friendly" readings being that only BANK 2 is the prob, they should have suggested replacing parts having to do with Bank 2(cylinders 4-6) only... 2 02 sensors, not all 4.
I agree, but what I find interesting is Ive only got common old Carsoft diagnostics and that will tell me if its pre or post cat sensor thats playing up and so will GT1 which is what BMW use so what are they up to is the question I ask myself......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)