Vibration when idling on drive - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sprain Brain is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Vibration when idling on drive

My fellow BMW family

When my car (2002 318i) is in in the drive or reverse (~750rpm) gear there is vibration which i feel on the steering and dashboard, even the seats. However, when i put the gear in neutral or park (~900 rpm), the vibration stops. I Started using 92 octane but switched back to 95. The vibration eased up a little but its still there.

Can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Could be engine or gearbox mounts, as when put into D or R the torque converter spins into action a spins at mega speed......

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 AM
n00b

Sprain Brain is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Hey thanks much...I will check them out
#4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
n00b

jjguzman_85 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprain Brain View Post
My fellow BMW family

When my car (2002 318i) is in in the drive or reverse (~750rpm) gear there is vibration which i feel on the steering and dashboard, even the seats. However, when i put the gear in neutral or park (~900 rpm), the vibration stops. I Started using 92 octane but switched back to 95. The vibration eased up a little but its still there.

Can anyone help me?
Hi! I have an 03 325i and it has a slight vibration while in idle too. I can feel it when I'm at stop lights or waiting in a dirvethrough or something. I have a suspicion that its my spark plugs though. When they start to go bad, the engine does'nt run as smooth. Then u develop misfires and rough engine idle. I've been wanting to check it out but I've been so busy, and the weather has just been ugly. Maybe the sparkplugs are the cuprit with ur bimmer.....can't hurt to chem em out. Plus, its not an expensive fix. Hope this helps! =D

Its the cats pajamas!
#5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 AM
n00b

dajelj is on a distinguished road
I've got the same issue with my 06 325i. A rattly vibration at idle especially when the engine is cold or I put on load at idle such as turning the wheel or putting it in drive. Generally goes away when the engine is warmed up. I mentioned this at my last service, and they replaced the lifters. Didn't fix the problem. Seems like rough idle or engine mounts.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Cool

First, when did you all have you car's tuned up? If it has been awhile, maybe it is time u eliminated the obvious first

While you are at that:

Check to see that your tranny fluid levels are up to specs.

Check the engine and tranny mounts, and that little thingie, they call a "GUIBO"

Last edited by darkhorse737; 02-15-2010 at 12:25 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:57 AM
n00b

Is 37,000 miles enough to expect to need a tune-up?
#8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajelj View Post
Is 37,000 miles enough to expect to need a tune-up?
at 37,000 the usual maintenance checks should be in order, & your car should still be under warranty. Your BMW dealer might be better able to help you out with your concerns

Cheers
#9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM
n00b

maxamillion is on a distinguished road
Has anybody thought of replacing the idle control valve
#10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:54 AM
n00b

I got it back from the dealer this week. They weren't able to reproduce the problem which occurs intermittantly while it's cold. They did find a fault code on the Vanos, and switched the intake and exhaust solenoids. I haven't felt the problem since. Maybe it was a little of the famous "Vanos Rattle". I don't think so, because you can feel the engine shake a little when it happens.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Well hopefully that'll sort it.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 PM
n00b

adw_uk is on a distinguished road
2006 320d SE Auto Same Problem

Just bought the above 2nd hand with one previous lady owner and just 36K on the clock and drives beautifully but as this is my first BMW auto have no comparison as to standard noise levels.

When in [N]eutral or [P]ark there is 'normal' noise but when in [D] but STATIONARY with my foot on the brake, (say at traffic lights) there is a rumbling noise and noticeable vibrations up through the steering wheel. As soon as you apply the throttle and drive off its quiet again.

I popped the car round to Arden Maidstone and spoke with Tony Newman the Service Manager and he came out and sat in the car and said its the exhaust mounting brackets that have become worn and are causing the increase in noise so no huge drama.

I took it back to Westwood Car and Commercial who promptly ordered the parts and fitted them last week and its no better! I rang Tony who asked if the 'mod' had been applied and as I couldnt answer he spoke directly to the mechanic who then applied the mod, (cable ties) but sadly it's still the same and Westwood have no other suggestions as to how to fix the problem.

Today I took it round to Bexley Motor Works and one of the engineers popped out and said the engine is vibrating too much causing the noises and steering wheel vibration. When its idling you could not put a cup of coffee on the top of the engine it would be everywhere but as soon as you apply throttle you wouldnt spill a drop.

Anyone know the cause and remedy to this?
#13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
n00b

coolcooltracy is on a distinguished road
im not to sure what you guys mean by "vibration" but i've had my car do something similar but maybe more intense while idling in D and foot on brake (like at a stoplight).. it would shake and feel AND sound like it was going to stall.. BUT only when i drove it and stopped. it ended up being the "crankcase vent valve" & sparkplugs needed to be replaced.. and if it is the ccv, hopefully you can order the part online and diy or have someone who knows what theyre doing to replace it for you bc BMW will charge you a FORTUNE.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
n00b

MontyBurns is on a distinguished road
BMW E90 roughness

Hi,

I too have this problem.
Roughness is felt when the car is started and D or R selected. There is no noise in N or P at idle.

The noise sound similar to a dry or faulty bearing if that helps and there is a vibration but its not too bad.

The problem seems to smooth out when normal operating temp is achieved and seems only to occur on cold starts. Ithappens with aircon on or off it make no difference.

Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)