BMW Werkz banner

Upgrading stock parts

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 2001 330ci and I know some things are going to need to be replaced and I wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade to better than OEM parts. I don't race my car, but I like it peppy and with good handling. I am not looking for super high-end performance parts, just parts that are better than OEM. First thing I am going to need to change are the brakes. I was thinking Pagid or Mintex brakes from Bvauto. What should I get for rotors? I am looking for brakes similar to oem that are affordable with less brake dust. Good idea? Suggestions? The second thing I need to upgarde would be suspension. I would like an all in one kit that has the springs, dampers, and an anti-roll bar. Tirerack has the Eibach Pro system kit. Any other suggestions? I was going to look in to a CAI kit, software upgrade, and exhaust, but I am not sure it's really that helpful. If I were, I guess I would get the shark, a different air filter, and a good exhaust. Which airfilter and exchaust would you recomend? I have seen many options reading through the posts, but what is the cheapest/best?

I appreciate any advice.

#2 ·
As for brake pads, I like the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. They produce low brake dust and have improved braking of OEM. They are roughly around $91. Rotors are personal preferences. Are you looking for Slotted, Cross-Drilled or Plain? Slotted- I would recommend PowerSlot Cross-Drilled- I would recommend Brembo Plain- Brembo makes this as well. The Eibach Pro suspension system is a good system. Check out UUC's suspension. They have Level 1, 2, or 3. Here is their website: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

There are several CAI's out there. The most popular ones are Dinan, ECIS, UUC, Conforti etc. Same with the exhaust, but again that would be a personal preference. Are you looking for loudness, aggressive sounds, or what? You can replace just the muffler or you can get a catback system (which will cost more). Personally, I have the UUC TSE3 catback exhaust system. Yes, it is louder, but has a deep, agressive roaring sounds at high RPM.

#3 ·
AZ325Ci said:
As for brake pads, I like the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. They produce low brake dust and have improved braking of OEM. They are roughly around $91. Rotors are personal preferences. Are you looking for Slotted, Cross-Drilled or Plain? Slotted- I would recommend PowerSlot Cross-Drilled- I would recommend Brembo Plain- Brembo makes this as well. The Eibach Pro suspension system is a good system. Check out UUC's suspension. They have Level 1, 2, or 3. Here is their website: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

There are several CAI's out there. The most popular ones are Dinan, ECIS, UUC, Conforti etc. Same with the exhaust, but again that would be a personal preference. Are you looking for loudness, aggressive sounds, or what? You can replace just the muffler or you can get a catback system (which will cost more). Personally, I have the UUC TSE3 catback exhaust system. Yes, it is louder, but has a deep, agressive roaring sounds at high RPM.
I don't think I am into CAI. I have doubts whether it is worth it in our cars, since the stock air filter is right in front of incoming air. I was interested to see if just a basic K&N filter would be worth it. Thanks for the pad options, I'll look into Hawk brakes pads. As for rotors I have no preference. Just something that will last awhile, is as good if not better than OEM, and inexpensive. Is that all I need when I change out my brakes? I don't care about sound too much. I do not want to sound like a ricer, maybe just a little louder than stock with more of a deep sound like you hear at lower rpms with stock exhaust. What are my options for a catback system?
About suspension, I will check out UUC. Thanks for the help.

#4 · (Edited)
If you are looking for power per dollar, best bang for the buck then I would recommend a cold air intake system and underdrive pulleys from UUC. First of all, these pieces are incredibly well made and secondly you WILL get a noticeable power increase from the CAI, plus throw the pulleys on top and it's money well spent. The best way to mod these cars is multiple upgrades together like the CAI and pulleys or CAI, Pulleys and Software. Each one compliments the other and will be much more enjoyable as a package. I had a customer just friday whom I sold and installed a CAI and the pulleys with a short shifter (doesn't add power but makes the power more fun to use). He was on a budget but wanted a noticeable power improvement for his 325 (e46). The car sounds great (CAI added a slightly throatier sound), its fun to drive and has more power... all for less than $900 parts and labor out the door. He's hooked now, he's coming back next week for the software and possibly exhaust. Next thing you know we'll be building him a custom turbo kit.. mmm, it just gets better!
BREMBO, BREMBO, BREMBO. Did I mention Brembo? By far, these kits are the best. I would recommend the front kit with just an upgraded pad and rotor in the rear to retain your ebrake.
Suspension... just depends on what you want. Better than stock springs and shocks/struts? or Complete Adjustable Coil-Over setup? If you're going to spend the money, I would buck up for the coil overs. But again, it depends on your budget (sounds like you are ready to spend some $$ though). If you go with just springs, H&R and Eibach both make great stuff and of course so does UUC. If you go with coil overs, I have had very good success with Koni.
Let me know what you decide to go with and I'll get you some prices.
Chad@StettPerformance.com

#5 ·
Im just goign to give soem of my opinions on the above posts.

Good brake pads have been recommended. I would also recommend PBR Axxis Ultimates. They run about $62 for fronts and $45 for rear pads. I use them and have always used them on my cars.

As far as Brake Rotors go, this situation has always been argued and the final educated conseus really comes down to logic and little bit of science. For the best single stop braking power, OEM blanks would be your best bet. They provide the most surface area for pads to maintain full contact with. Vented/Slotted rotors are also another top choice. These are the best at dispersing heat away from the pads/rotors and help alleviate brake fade. Cross drilled are "supposed' to work but we can all just assume they are primarily for show. UUC has some great rotors, and I think they even sell vented and "dimpled" rotors that give the cross-drilled-look without the instability in products that may cause cracking. A great site also that I always always always recommend because it's well organizied, easy to use, and has great prices, is www.turnermotorsport.com

I am always skeptical of drop-in air filter upgrades. I dont see how they would give you any gains. My opinion is to go with a legitimate proven Cold Air Intake system. im not familiar with all the cold air intakes for e46's and which ones are the best. What state do you live in? I dotn knwo if it bothers you but soon when you have to start doign emissions checks they might notice the CAI as a non stock part and may visually fail you. Some companies have CARB systems (liek Dinan) mainly for states like California. Take this into consideration.

As far as suspension goes, I could get into a 10 page paper about this. It seems youve doen a little bit of homework and know that you want to do more than just teh typical struts and springs. Good move. Im not goign ot recommend you go with a coilover system because the price range is similar for lower coilovers vs. springs w/ adjustable struts. What im sayign is the coilovers in your price range are probably a bit too stiff for your liking even though you can get ride height adjustability. My recommendation is you go with H&R sport springs and with Koni SA (single adjustable) strut/shocks. These Koni's allow you to adjust dampening force (how soft or stiff your car can ride) easily through the top of your shock tower. You will adjust this way mroe than ride height. As far as Anti-roll bars I dont know the factory sway bar specs but for this ill recommend www.uucmotorwerks.com. I dont know the oversteer/understeer characteristics of your car but im sure theyve learned it and put time into it. Just make sure you are doin an upgrade and not gettign the same size bar (much like ive seen Racign Dynamics do in rear bars).

Youll love a lot of exhausts out there. Ill just tell you to stick to brand names, and stay away from UUC TSE and Gruppe M unless you like ridiculously loud exhausts.

#6 ·
///M Power said:
Im just goign to give soem of my opinions on the above posts.

Good brake pads have been recommended. I would also recommend PBR Axxis Ultimates. They run about $62 for fronts and $45 for rear pads. I use them and have always used them on my cars.

As far as Brake Rotors go, this situation has always been argued and the final educated conseus really comes down to logic and little bit of science. For the best single stop braking power, OEM blanks would be your best bet. They provide the most surface area for pads to maintain full contact with. Vented/Slotted rotors are also another top choice. These are the best at dispersing heat away from the pads/rotors and help alleviate brake fade. Cross drilled are "supposed' to work but we can all just assume they are primarily for show. UUC has some great rotors, and I think they even sell vented and "dimpled" rotors that give the cross-drilled-look without the instability in products that may cause cracking. A great site also that I always always always recommend because it's well organizied, easy to use, and has great prices, is www.turnermotorsport.com

I am always skeptical of drop-in air filter upgrades. I dont see how they would give you any gains. My opinion is to go with a legitimate proven Cold Air Intake system. im not familiar with all the cold air intakes for e46's and which ones are the best. What state do you live in? I dotn knwo if it bothers you but soon when you have to start doign emissions checks they might notice the CAI as a non stock part and may visually fail you. Some companies have CARB systems (liek Dinan) mainly for states like California. Take this into consideration.

As far as suspension goes, I could get into a 10 page paper about this. It seems youve doen a little bit of homework and know that you want to do more than just teh typical struts and springs. Good move. Im not goign ot recommend you go with a coilover system because the price range is similar for lower coilovers vs. springs w/ adjustable struts. What im sayign is the coilovers in your price range are probably a bit too stiff for your liking even though you can get ride height adjustability. My recommendation is you go with H&R sport springs and with Koni SA (single adjustable) strut/shocks. These Koni's allow you to adjust dampening force (how soft or stiff your car can ride) easily through the top of your shock tower. You will adjust this way mroe than ride height. As far as Anti-roll bars I dont know the factory sway bar specs but for this ill recommend www.uucmotorwerks.com. I dont know the oversteer/understeer characteristics of your car but im sure theyve learned it and put time into it. Just make sure you are doin an upgrade and not gettign the same size bar (much like ive seen Racign Dynamics do in rear bars).

Youll love a lot of exhausts out there. Ill just tell you to stick to brand names, and stay away from UUC TSE and Gruppe M unless you like ridiculously loud exhausts.
Thanks for the info guys. I will look into Koni and H&R. They are good names. As for CAI. Not for me, at least not right now. Thanks for the brake recomendation, I hadn't heard of PBR Axxis Ultimates before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.